UKC

Perspectives on life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 08 Mar 2014
I know there is a nature vs nuture arguement about psychological development generally.

I just wondered when it comes to adult life, (over 30 years of age or older) how much do you think your job affects/alters your views/perspective?
 Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

About 38%
OP Blizzard 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

V funny, only you could answer like in percentage terms ( and made up????)

I wasnt looking for percentages. More specifics.
 Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> V funny, only you could answer like in percentage terms ( and made up????)

> I wasnt looking for percentages. More specifics.

You might have been better off by asking "how do you think your job affects your perspectives", rather than "how MUCH"
 Jon Stewart 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

My old job made me depressed. It also made me very cynical about politics, but I don't think that would have been much different had I not seen it in detail, first hand.

Rather than affecting my view or perspective, I think my old job gave me insight. Other people in the profession had very different views and perspectives to me.

When I start working again later in the year in my new job, seeing 15 or so patients a day, it might give me a bit of insight into what certain kinds of people are like (but it's not like we're going to be talking about much - the conversation in this line of work generally revolves around the relative merits of lenses 1 and 2).
Lusk 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Seeing as your job is about 50% of your waking hours (not counting weekends etc! ), it probably does have an effect!
 Timmd 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

^ What he said.

How content one is when working can have a big impact on how a person's personality 'exists' for want of a better word, which can affect their outlook on life.

I say exist because I don't think personalities can't change once we become adults.

The range of people who are interacted with would have an affect as well.
 Duncan Bourne 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

interesting that one. I have been doing my main job since I was 20. I first thought it was OK, then when I was 35 I hated it. Now I love it and have done for the past 9 years. The job itself hasn't changed much
 The Potato 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

working with /in people has, does and always will make me depressed at their syupidity and laziness. it pays the bills so whatever
In reply to ow arm:

> working with /in people has, does and always will make me depressed at their stupidity and laziness. it pays the bills so whatever

Seconded.

Fredt 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I worked for Social Services, then teaching for the first 25 years of my working life. I think I was pretty well rounded, and a nice person.

Then, I set up my own private company, where I have to market and sell my ideas. I think this had made me a cynical, jealous, fairly unpleasant and richer person.
 tlm 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> I say exist because I don't think personalities can't change once we become adults.

I changed my outlook on life in a major way when I was 40.

Brains are plastic neural networks and are capable of being rewired - just look at what happens with people who have strokes.

There is more and more evidence emerging about the plastic nature of adult brains:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16086233

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/23590545

http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_merzenich_on_the_elastic_brain
 tlm 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> I just wondered when it comes to adult life, (over 30 years of age or older) how much do you think your job affects/alters your views/perspective?

An interesting question is also how much your views/perspective affect how you think about your job.

redsonja 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I look upon my jobs (I have 4!) as a means of making money to travel and climb mountains. they mean nothing more to me. if I had a career rather than jobs it might be different
 nufkin 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> the relative merits of lenses 1 and 2

It always feels like they already know the answer and are just testing me to see if I've been paying attention
 balmybaldwin 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Its all part of the nurture bit. We learn from what we do, but clearly natural qualities also change the way we behave at work
In reply to Blizzard:

To be very scientific and accurate about it, I'd say roughly 00.00%
 Banned User 77 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

It might slant your opinion. I'm an academia, when in the US I'd only work with academics, so if I didnt actively get out, meet people, I'd assume the US was some liberal, environmental state..

But if you have a varied life, not insular then it shouldn't too much.
 Jon Stewart 11 Mar 2014
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> [...]
>
> It always feels like they already know the answer and are just testing me to see if I've been paying attention

They do. And if you're really struggling to decide, then you're wasting their time.
OP Blizzard 13 Mar 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks for those replies. Mixed opinion. I wonder what the silent majority have to say on the subject.
 malky_c 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> Thanks for those replies. Mixed opinion. I wonder what the silent majority have to say on the subject.

Nothing?
 Timmd 13 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

> An interesting question is also how much your views/perspective affect how you think about your job.

A very good point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...