UKC

Conditions- Cobbler, Ben Lui or Beinn Udlaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnBson 08 Mar 2014
Looking for the best bet out of these three, I would be going to Glen Coe but can't make the longer drive due to time.
 Milesy 08 Mar 2014
No ice at Beinn an Dothaidh so my instincts are Udlaidh will be out and its been quite mild so I would say the Cobbler is out as well. Ben Lui I would take a wide berth of if you are planning on going near central gully as there been avalanches everywhere the last few days in the mild conditions.
 barbeg 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Milesy:

Hi Chris,
Right on all counts.....
Laters mate,
Andy
 AlH 08 Mar 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Even if the freezing level does drop again as MWIS predicts there's no way that there will be climbable ice Beinn Udlaidh and the Cobbler is unlikely to freeze so quickly after the mild conditions and rain of the last couple of days. The Met office is showing heavy precipitation, initially rain but turning to snow, and strong winds which will increase the avalanche hazard in the Central Gully area of Ben Lui.
 kwoods 09 Mar 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Snowfields all thawing today at Arrochar, very warm. No ice at 750m, not even snow on ridges at 800m. Just mega-thawing snowfields in the depressions and a lot of melt water about.
Drobson77 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Milesy:

Hi Milesy

We have trip to Ben Lui 22nd March

Do you know if NE Ridge is in decent condition - we were planning on Central Gulley but put off with recent summer temps
Cheers
Dave
 Jamie B 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Drobson77:

13 days away - anything could happen and current condtions are meaningless to you.
 Michael Gordon 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Drobson77:

You can go up the ridge in any condition.
OP JohnBson 12 Mar 2014
In reply to JohnBson:

Ben Dothaidh was chosen, wet snow avalanches were wide spread so we settled for the summit. Snowpack was thawed right through. Cornices ready to drop an near white out conditions. Avoid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...