UKC

Mesh Inner tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 09 Mar 2014
I was looking at the Jack Wolfskin Gossamer Bivvi Tent, which has an "inner tent made entirely of mosquito mesh for lightness and superb ventilation".
I have seen other tents with mesh inners.
My question is, besides keeping out mosquitoes, what does the mesh tent do?

If mosquitoes aren't an issue, why have the inner?
 ben b 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:
> My question is, besides keeping out mosquitoes, what does the mesh tent do?

Makes it bloody cold.

Probably helps reduce condensation as a result.

Two skins (inner & outer) much better than single skin for condensation.

b
 tlm 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

> If mosquitoes aren't an issue, why have the inner?

Stops you touching the outer skin which makes the water come through the fabric.

Stops other creatures coming in to eat you and your stuff (midges, flies, mice).

If it isn't all mesh, it helps keep the whole tent warmer/cooler by providing a layer of insulating air between the inner and outer tents.

Trangia 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Keeps wolves, lions and bears away
 gethin_allen 09 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Stops you touching the outer skin which makes the water come through the fabric.
I'm sure this is a throwback from days of old canvas tents, modern fabrics are properly waterproof so the moisture you feel if you press against the inside of the tent should only be condensation.

> Stops other creatures coming in to eat you and your stuff (midges, flies, mice).

Totally agree with this, slugs are terrible and somehow get everywhere.

PPP 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Mostly for ventilation and protection from bugs. I have had single skin hooped bivi bag and I usually had some condensation on the inside of the tent. And most of the time while sleeping, feet were touching the roof. Hence, sleeping bag gets damp in the morning. It was not problem only that it was only one skin tent, but it was too tiny and didn't have proper venting options if it rains.

Also, a porch for cooking purposes would not be very possible to make if there is no inner tent.
needvert 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

Let's not forget ants, spiders and snakes.

Bites by big ants can really hurt. Spiders and snakes may require a trip to the hospital if bitten.

Regional specific luckily. Unfortunately I sometimes camp in areas with funnel web spiders.
Lennyb182 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Fredt:

I have this tent and used it for a week hiking round Iceland. It does help with nasties getting in, and it's also great for a bit of star/aurora boreal gazing !! With the added comfort of if the wind picks up you just fold down the outer sheet !
 Mark Morris 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Trangia:

And tigers, don't forget the tigers.
In reply to Fredt:

With a bit of though you could use it for a number of things:

an overly large fishing net,
a seive,
a butterfly net,
a kite,

any others?
 Sharp 09 Mar 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I'm sure this is a throwback from days of old canvas tents, modern fabrics are properly waterproof so the moisture you feel if you press against the inside of the tent should only be condensation.

Depends what you mean by "properly waterproof", GTX jackets will have a hydrostatic head of about 20,000mm or more. Tents will be around 2,000-6,000mm. Technically waterproof yeah but if you add a bit of use, a bit of abrasion, a bit of UV damage and someone leaning against it during a storm then it'll leak like a sieve. It's not unheard of for people to wake up in a small lake because their feet have been leaning against the side of the tent.
 gethin_allen 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

> Depends what you mean by "properly waterproof", GTX jackets will have a hydrostatic head of about 20,000mm or more. Tents will be around 2,000-6,000mm. Technically waterproof yeah but if you add a bit of use, a bit of abrasion, a bit of UV damage and someone leaning against it during a storm then it'll leak like a sieve. It's not unheard of for people to wake up in a small lake because their feet have been leaning against the side of the tent.

OK so it depends on the quality and condition of the tent, still, I'd rather lean against the side of a modern tent than an old patrol tent like we had back in scouts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...