UKC

Vixen Tor!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Crimpchimp 09 Mar 2014
Hi there all. Just wanted to bring up Vixen Tor again. Situated near Tavistock. I feel strongly that this is such an important crag which would be used by a range of climbers and would benefit the local community, most importantly the youth of Tavistock. Last I heard the national park authority was trying to move the NP perimeter based on historic evidence. Cheers for reading. If people reading this dont know. Vixen Tor is out of bounds to all public.
 Iain Peters 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

Vixen Tor has not been forgotten I can assure you!
 Andy Say 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

What would be the impact of moving the National Park boundary?
 balmybaldwin 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Andy Say:

Presumably if the tor then sits in the national park, theres no way they can restrict access.
 Andy Say 10 Mar 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I don't think that will be the case - there's plenty of 'private land' in all of the National Parks. But there maybe some angle I don't know about
 TMM 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

As Iain has said Vixen Tor access is still being challenged, have a search on this forum, it was discussed recently.

The loss of access to Vixen Tor is very sad but I am not sure that 'the youth of Tavistock' have been disproportionally effected in comparison with any other user group.

Let's hope that those working behind the scenes make progress and that know they are supported by the climbing community and all others who wish to enjoy unfettered access to our wild places.
 JDal 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Crimpchimp:

Sadly being in a National Park will make no difference to access. It's not Access Land so the landowner can restrict access as they see fit. However, being in a NP introduces more stringent planning and may restrict what the land is used for.
 balmybaldwin 10 Mar 2014
In reply to JDal:

Ah so we could end up where the np oppose her new extension (or whatever else) thus putting pressure on her to be more reasonable
 Iain Peters 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Andy Say:

Vixen Tor is well inside the Dartmoor NP Boundary. It is not, at present, subject to Open Access under CRoW.

All National Park boundaries are simply designated for planning purposes not access, and most of the land area of any NP is privately owned. On Dartmoor, the Duchy of Cornwall owns a huge swathe of the open moor, other areas are owned by the various Commoners and much of the marginal land (newtakes or intakes) is owned by individual farmers and landowners.
OP Crimpchimp 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Iain Peters:
Very true. Just checked the map, well inside the boundary but not access land. I heard they are trying to establish access based on historical trails and paths. Someone did mention NP but fairly irrelevant. I guess the bottom line is that no one knows whats going on with progress if any? Everbody is doing well at respecting the boundaries with no access written on the walls and barbed wire everywhere. This respect is more likely to be fear after hearing the horror stories. To be fair I can see the owners and public point of view. Quality crag though!
Post edited at 22:50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...