UKC

Frisson of adventure in the Black Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Mar 2014
Beautiful day today - I followed a sheep/pony trod which contoured round Pen Rhos Dirion, (the next hill west from Lord Hereford's Knob), it's quietly dramatic like the path below Cribyn, but not marked on the map. It would be good fun to take kids along as it looks highly improbable!
 Mike Peacock 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Have you done Cat's Back Ridge or Y Grib? Both excellent and very different to the rest of the range. Further afield there's a great path below the north face of Fan Nedd (also not marked on the map) in Fforest Fawr.
 spearing05 09 Mar 2014

These both sound interesting. Shall look then up. Thanks both.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Yes to the Cats Back, no to the others, they're now on the list!
 Mike Peacock 10 Mar 2014

Y Grib is certainly great. Reminds me of the Shropshire hills almost. The downside is that it takes you to the great bog-plateau that is Waun Fach!
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Y Grib - my mistake, I do know it, not sure why we never knew the 'proper' name - 'that ridge above the Castle pub' is what we call it, I've dragged the kids up there several times. (Actually they don't need dragging).

You're right, very distinctive for the Black Mountains, one of our favourite walks.
pasbury 10 Mar 2014

It was a great day - I was on the Knob myself yesterday - quite good if done all the way from Capel-y-ffin.
I guess the path you mean is on the northerly escarpment.
In reply to pasbury:

Yes that's right. Wasn't it beautiful yesterday!
 Richard Baynes 10 Mar 2014

The added bonus of going up those hills with kids is to talk loudly about Lord Hereford's Knob and see which one of them starts uncontrollably sniggering first.
It was me...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...