UKC

Recommendations for a portable hard drive

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone recommend a 1TB portable hard drive, preferably USB3? Suitable for a MacBook Pro.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
I picked up one of these recently for my MBP:

http://www.ebuyer.com/407777-seagate-1tb-expansion-portable-hard-drive-stbx...

Works well and only £50.
Post edited at 09:23
 sweenyt 10 Mar 2014
In reply to professionalwreckhead:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/portable-ex...

then reformat it from windows to mac. that will save you £20 compared to buying the mac version.
 Toerag 10 Mar 2014

Be careful with using bundled backup software - with the western digital one, performing a 'synch' after you've accidentally deleted a file on your PC without realising it will cause it to be deleted from the drive as well...
Irishpotatos 10 Mar 2014

Been using a Trascend portable hard drive with my Macbook pro. I have had the 500gb version of this ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Military-Grade-Resistance-Portable-Extern...

Had it for a few years now and ever had a problem with it! It can take a fall as well!! Extra piece of mind if you take it travelling with you!
As mentioned above, be careful using the bundled back up software! You might inadvertently lose some files if you sync using the 'auto sync' feature if you have made any updates since your last sync.
Post edited at 10:00
 crayefish 10 Mar 2014

I'd stay away from cheaper brands such as Seagate. WD are generally the most reliable and not over priced.
In reply to crayefish:

Yes, I'm inclined to go with a WD (the Passport or Passport Ultra), because I use a WD hard drive on my desk top and it seems OK. The problem is it also gets quite a lot of v rude one-star reviews saying things like 'WD means Wait for Disaster' ...
 crayefish 10 Mar 2014

I think you'll find those sort of reviews for most of the brands... always someone who dislikes and they tend to make their comments known Plus all brands have failures.

But at work the guys who build our CFD machines etc only use WD as they found them to be the most reliable.
In reply to crayefish:

When you reformat it for the Mac, how do you keep the software that comes with it? Or failing that, can the Mac Time Machine be used to back up to both the desk top hard drive and the portable hard drive when away from home, without causing confusion/problems?
 crayefish 10 Mar 2014

> When you reformat it for the Mac, how do you keep the software that comes with it? Or failing that, can the Mac Time Machine be used to back up to both the desk top hard drive and the portable hard drive when away from home, without causing confusion/problems?

Not being a Mac user, I can't answer that I am afraid!

But if you want to keep the software, copy it off the drive on a PC then you can format and still have a copy.
 BazVee 10 Mar 2014

I use a Lacie Rugged Mini 1TB with my iMac for my back up. Well actually I use two and swap them. Works Via Time Machine but don't ask me exactly how as as geeky IT friend set up for me
 The New NickB 10 Mar 2014

Recently bought a WD Air drive for my MacBook Pro, paid the Mac premium as I could not be bothered faffing around reformatting and it is nice that syncs with both the MacBook hard drive and iCloud with no messing. Not had it long, but no problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...