UKC

Weird Nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 09 Mar 2014
Was climbing up at Stanage yesterday and chatting with a mate about gear - he showed me a couple of really small tricams - black and white and a red camp ball nut - he said that he only used them a couple of times but that they were real lifesavers. Anyone out there used either, if so what do you think ?
 LastBoyScout 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

I have a Faces Cobra nut and an HB slider nut - I've carried and placed both, but haven't fallen on them.
 Nigel Thomson 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider: I've used the Camp Ballnuts in the two largest sizes. Not your everyday piece but great in small pocket type slots and when they fit in just the right place they make me fell all warm and tingly.

tehmarks 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Pink and red (#0.5 and #1) Tricams are brilliant bits of kit. I always meant to get the next size down and two next sizes up too, but never got round to it...
 HeMa 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Small Tricams are rather hand at times (winter and pockets). Actually there is even fan page for the classic pink tricam... http://www.swarpa.net/~danforth/climb/sinkthepink.html

And now Camp also offers a smaller tricam than the pink (black?).

As for the ballnutz, well they are quite often used on thin granite aid climbs... but also for harder granite free climbs...
 CurlyStevo 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

The black and white tricams are not very strong, something that put me off buying them. I often find tricams too fiddly to place if I'm pushing my grade (say HVS and up) so wouldn't carry them unless I though the rock may be particularly suited to them (and not so suited to cams and nuts). Other than that they are good in winter and as part of a light rack for easier climbs.

The smallest two sizes of Ball nuts can be really good (especially the red one) especially for rock which tends to have thin cracks that may have a tendency not to take nuts at times. Limestone can often form like this.
OP Ciderslider 10 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Cheers mate (solid advice as always) - did you get out yesterday ?
 Hannes 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

I've found the two smallest sizes of ballnuts to be really useful a variety of rock, perhaps less so on the grit that on limestone
 CurlyStevo 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

yhm
 nutstory 10 Mar 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:
If I am not mistaken, the HB slider nut is... a Cobra, and the Faces is a Slug.
Post edited at 15:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...