UKC

lambing season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Mar 2014
Could anyone tell me if it is lambing season in the lakes at the moment i.e lambs in the fields, have not been up in a couple of weeks. I was in Yorkshire yesterday and saw a couple of fields with lambs in. Just need to know for my photography thanks.
 Bob 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

The lambing season varies depending on both latitude and altitude. So farms around the coast will have mostly finished lambing; those on lower fells will be in the middle of lambing; higher fell farms on the edge of the district will be about to start and those in the centre of the Lakes are more than a month away.

Lambing on our family farm begins on 5th April - this is on the hills above Newby Bridge.

So you should be able to find lambs of varying ages throughout the district.
Removed User 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Bob:

thanks for the reply I did not realise it was that different.

Whilst on the subject, you don't know of any farmers that would be willing to have me tag along a for a day or two, I want to do a photographic story of a day in the life of a lakeland farmer, for a personal project, but would also be looking at approaching Cumbria magazine, Go Lakes Lakeland walker etc to perhaps publish the photos splitting any profit with the farmer. I would be more than happy to give the farmer a copy of all the photos as well.
 Bob 10 Mar 2014

It's also partly that different so that the market doesn't get flooded with a glut of lamb for a short period. The lowland farmers get their lamb to market early then as the year progresses the lamb is sourced from higher farms and those further north. Obviously there's some overlap as not all a farmer's lambs go to market at once.

Might be best to just ask around for suitably photogenic farmers!
 Ann S 10 Mar 2014

Check out the website for Yew Tree Farm near Coniston. I have bought some of their excellent meat and farmer seems like a friendly chap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...