UKC

Sad news....wonder who it is :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Marcus Tierney 10 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

This chap was a well respected mountaineer and well known through several national and international mountaineering clubs. He will be sadly missed. The name will be given when it is certain that all those close to him have heard the sad news through personal contact.
 Chris_Mellor 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Marcus Tierney:

So so very easy to slip on greasy rock and bad place to do it. Sympathies to his family and friends.
 gethin_allen 10 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Whoever it was, accomplished mountaineer or novice, it's a sad tale.
Sympathies to all involved.
 L.A. 11 Mar 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
His name has now been confirmed by the Alpine Club So sad. Bumped into him last weekend on Helvellyn when he was up for the CC meet. Such an accomplished mountaineer. Alpine 4000s, Antarctica, Himalaya. Just shows how tenuous life is.
RIP

Solaris 11 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82 and L.A.:

L.A. says that the name has been confirmed by the AC, but s/he is premature: although the Committee and some Club members know, an email message will be sent out in due course to all AC members on behalf of the next of kin. However, their needs must come first, so please, no more "hinting" posts for the moment, however well-intentioned - not least because they could cause needless anxiety to others.

Thanks,

Andrew
In reply to Solaris:

There's an announcement on the AC website, surely?

jcm
 L.A. 11 Mar 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
Yes there was one posted last night. Andrew Ive mailed you about it

> There's an announcement on the AC website, surely?

> jcm

And the CC site too.
 Solaris 11 Mar 2014
OK - I hadn't looked and had been acting on the assumption that the name was not yet public. I've been asked by the next of kin to coordinate a personal news release to AC members, and my conversations with both her and with various official AC bods this morning had not indicated that there had been any "official" release of the name beyond the committee.
Post edited at 13:45
 Solaris 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Solaris:

PS The funeral will be private but there will be a memorial service in due course.
 mattrm 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Solaris:

The name is public, it's on the news section on the CC website.

I'm not going to put it here, but it's not hard to find.

Very sad to hear.
 Derby Grit 16 Mar 2014
Your opportunity to support the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation,

see: http://michael.pinney.muchloved.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...