UKC

Poachers Falls conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 just one more 10 Mar 2014
Hi, anyone been on or near Poachers recently?
 Phil Emerson 10 Mar 2014
In reply to just one more:

Was up last weekend on George which is just next to Poachers. Looked fat from below. From chatting to a few teams who had done it they said the neve made things difficult because it wasn't solid. The whole back wall of the coire is plastered with snow.
 drsdave 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Phil Emerson:

was up there 2 weeks ago now which could be a life time but isnt due to previous post comments. George was thawing when we were there, it hasnt done much since then by the sound of it. My mates did Poachers at the same time which they said was raining on the summit, all in all Scotland is thawing. Having just looked on MWIS it dosent forebode well for the coming week.
 DaveHK 10 Mar 2014
I'd imagine most of it would be sitting in the corrie by now given the temps of the last few days.
Post edited at 22:13
 Mike Lates 10 Mar 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Wouldn't be so sure after seeing whats left way out west here on Skye; glass half full mentality after a season like this! george will be there for sure.
 Andrew Sloan 11 Mar 2014

I walked in to the foot of Poachers last Wednesday in the pouring rain (hard going in deep soft wet snow). It was probably climbable but the ice was far too cruddy to take screws...so walked back out....8 hours getting soaked through!!

It's North facing and it was ridiculously fat 2 weeks ago. If it stays cloud free then there was enough ice on it to freeze itself despite the air temperature. If it gets cloudy and warm the moisture will start trashing it...

NMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...