UKC

Recommend me a good pair of overtrousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 10 Mar 2014
Hello,

I am quite desperate to find a decent pair of waterproof overtrousers.

I am looking for a full or 3/4 zip trousers, which would be without a mesh (i.e. unlined, 2.5 or 3 layers). I would like them to be lightweight, but robust enough for occasional scrambling.

Any ideas? Seems like such a pair of trousers does not exist or costs more than I can pay. After few months of searching, I decided that I can pay slightly more than I initially thought, but no more than 100 pounds.

I tried to put ones with half zip (knee length) in a shop and even my casual trainers didn't fit very nicely, so I think Scarpa SL Activ will be even worse! I do not really want to untie my shoes, put trousers on and then tie the shoes again.
 aldo56 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Check out the Marmot pre-cip, they come in full zip or 3/4 and various lengths.
 tony07 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

So do you want them to be stashed in your bag in case of downpours, or soemthing you can spend all day in? Berghaus do a gore tex PAC lite pair that you can pick up for around 50 if you look around. They have full zips I think.

martinph78 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Berghaus Helvellyn pant is worth a look, should be able to pick them up for less than £100.

OP PPP 10 Mar 2014
In reply to aldo56:

Thanks, I have been looking for them, but it seems that they are out of stock in most of the shops for my size (Medium waist and regular length). And they aren't very tough. I have Marmot precip jacket which I use for everyday, it is quite light, but I get sweaty in it as well.

In reply to Martin1978:

From what I have read (haven't seen Helvellyn at the shop yet), they are mesh-lined and quite warm. I already have a set of merino underwear (long sleeved shirt and trousers) and Montane Terra pants, so I would need something light (in terms of warmth).

In reply to tony07:

I would keep them in the rucksack if it rains, but sometimes it rains for more than 24 hours, so they might be needed for all day. I would use Montane Terra pants if it is not raining and overtrousers over Terras in case of rain.
 Sharp 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:
Sorry to add another Berghaus to the list but the Deluge pant get quite good reviews, we sell a lot of them and get good feedback. They're only £30-40 depending where you buy them and they're a hell of a lot better than paclite imo. Certainly more breathable and more durable, just not as packable...but then I guess the clue to that is in the name.
Post edited at 19:52
OP PPP 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

How warm are they? I am just afraid that they are lined and I would run hot in them. Other than that, I would definitely buy them as they seemed to be way much cheaper than any others.
 Totally-Normal 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Another vote for deluge. With regard to warmth they have both zips and poppers. I run very hot normally and love the deluge's as you can use the double zips to vent the whole leg if you wanted and just do the poppers up. Whilst you may lose some of the protection from the rain I've found that they still maintain a good level of waterproofing. I normally vent the top half of both legs and havent had any dramas yet, even in some rough conditions.
 Sharp 10 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

I didn't realise they were lined, oh well, shows how much attention I pay! They certainly don't have any insulation material in them and there's not a huge amount out there that are thinner than they are. The paclite pants might be fine but I'd be surprised if they breathed any better than the deluge, very surprised. So although they're thinner you might end up sweating more. If you're really against linings then you can always cut it out although I don't think you'd see much of a performance increase and depending on the trouser you might find it makes the membrane easier to damage. The deluge also have poppers all the way down the zips so you can vent them without getting arrested.

If you want something that's going to be more breathable/lighter you might be better with a pair of well proofed pertex trousers. Other than that it's pro shell and that's not nice to your credit card.
OP PPP 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Thanks for suggestions, guys. I really don't like the mesh of Deluge trousers. I think my experience with meshes wasn't the best!

Has anyone heard/used Sherpa Lapka Rita Guide pants ( http://www.tiso.com/shop/sherpa-adventure/mens-lapka-rita-guide-pant/ )? Apart from being heavier, they should be ideal trousers, though I am not sure if there's a storm flap inside the trousers as water could easily run through the zip in nasty weather. Also, I have never tried Sherpa Adventure goods and I am not sure if they are good . I have OE card, so they fall under 100 quid category! But for the same price, I could find ME Firefox pants... Which are also lighter!
 gethin_allen 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Another vote for the deluge trousers here despite what you say about the liners. I actually find the liners make them better to walk in.
 The New NickB 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

You don't have to wear everything you own, the lining on overt rousers won't make much difference to warmth, your merino longjohns will. It would have to be a good few degrees below zero before was looking at longjohns and trousers. As it seems you are looking at a more three season set up, I'd not bother with the longjohns.
 Mike-W-99 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin1978:
> (In reply to PPP)
>
> Berghaus Helvellyn pant is worth a look, should be able to pick them up for less than £100.

I've a pair of these as well. Seem fine and the mesh doesnt seem to be an issue. As for the holes put in by my shoddy cramponwork, not the trousers fault!

ANother suggestion, may have got lucky here but the north face shop in town had the .5 overtrousers half price. A bit more than the OPs price range but they might have others too?
 iksander 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Look out for ones that have a 2 way zip (eg 3 zippers) on the legs, so you can vent them at the thighs and still have the legs done up.
OP PPP 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Hi, do you mean TNF Venture trousers? The last time I've been to this shop I have seen only these trousers with 1/2 zip. I couldn't put them on with casual shoes (I.e. mid skate shoes). I can't understand how would someone be able to use 1/4 or 1/2 zips with proper boots.
 Sharp 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

> Hi, do you mean TNF Venture trousers? The last time I've been to this shop I have seen only these trousers with 1/2 zip. I couldn't put them on with casual shoes (I.e. mid skate shoes). I can't understand how would someone be able to use 1/4 or 1/2 zips with proper boots.

There's a special dance you have to do, takes a bit of practice to get it down but one you've got the knack you'll be one of the cool kids. Basically roll the bottom of the trouser up then hop forwards on the other foot at an increasing speed until your leg is in. Then repeat for the other leg.
 Mike-W-99 11 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

The .5 overtrousers are full zip, very nice but £35 over your budget. But it was just a thought there might be others in the sale that are cheaper.
 Pedro 12 Mar 2014
In reply to PPP:

Hi, I've just bought some Berghaus Packlite overtrousers. A mate had some and they seemed to do everything I wanted :- light, pack small, slim, waterproof! and robust. Good Luck.
OP PPP 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

I tried Berghaus Deluge again and they were even hot under the jeans while standing (I might have added that I survived in a sleeping bag with extreme rating of +2 over last spring and summer, without a mat and in levels up to 900m - I prefer cooler conditions and I like going light as much as possible).

The same problem with mentioned Sherpa pants. These feel great, but quite heavy and felt too warm (would be great for winter only, though).

Something I have never seen was Rab Xiom pants. 3 layers Pertex Shield+, lightweight (270g), tough enough and ¾ zip made me to decide within minutes. They also have articulated knees and internal storm flap, with cords on waist and ankles. It looks like it's a new model, so that's a quick review of Rab Xiom trousers. I'll give a go outdoors quite soon and I'll see how they preform.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...