UKC

Winter/Alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Summit Sense 10 Mar 2014
Would appreciate advice on trousers/sallopettes for general winter & alpine mountaineering.

Have previously used thin Gore-Tex shell trousers with synthetic base-layer leggings on underneath in Scotland but have caught crampons many-a-time and now bear the consequences. (Thank heaven's for Seam Sealant Glue!)

What are people's clothing combos for their bottom halves? Any recommended softshell pants with good 'kick-strip' protection?

Cheers!
 alexm198 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Alex_RhodesUK:

Mountain Equipment G2s are my troos of choice, they're bloody good. Very windproof and nice and stretchy - the softshell material is much thinner than other softshell trousers (e.g. the Simond ones). I'll wear a pair of leggings underneath and then chuck a pair of Mountain Equipment Karakorams over the top if shit's really going down.
 Kai 11 Mar 2014

I'm a big fan of the Patagonia Northwall pants. Very breathable but also very weather resistant. Made from Polartec Powerstretch Pro fabric, I've not been wet in these, even when climbing up ice running with water.
Lightly insulated with a grid fleece, they're great for cold conditions. My winter pants of choice for ice climbing.
 L.A. 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Alex_RhodesUK: At this price and for stunning quality you cant really go wrong Big kick strip protection too

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html
 GridNorth 11 Mar 2014

Yes the Decathlon trousers are excellent and good value.
 nathan79 11 Mar 2014

Got something against gaiters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...