UKC

Boom Boxes at crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 11 Mar 2014
Bit of a cliche really, for the first time, I turned up to the crag the other day and a few meters away was a few people playing some loud music. Made a few jokes about it to some friends, but a bit more confused than bothered to be honest. It's a bit off-putting, but at the same time no one wants to be 'that guy'. It helps that the music wasn't in this particular case offending my tastes (RHCP).

Is it fine to play your music at the crag? Are boom boxes back in style now? .
 Mark Collins 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

No, definitely not. Please name the crag so I can avoid it.
 crayefish 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

If no one is around... why not? But if someone turns up it would be polite to turn it off or ask if they are ok with it (assuming most people would be too shy/polite to ask).
 The Pylon King 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

What is RHCP?
 Choss 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Were they wearing Beanies, smoking weed, and using buckets of chalk and sissy Mats

Iain Peters 11 Mar 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Red Hot......Peppers
 crayefish 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Were they wearing Beanies, smoking weed, and using buckets of chalk and sissy Mats

>

Haha. You mean the snowboarders of the climbing world?
 Tom Valentine 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Perfectly acceptable at venues like Horseshoe Quarry.
 Skip 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Were they wearing Beanies, smoking weed, and using buckets of chalk and sissy Mats

>

Beanies don't bother me, neither does weed, but using buckets of chalk annoys me. Really don't see the point, or even the effectiveness of plastering loads of chalk on holds or hands. For me a light dusting on my hands if they are sweaty or greasy is enough. Often as not i don't use it all.
 The Pylon King 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Gabba.
 Mr. Lee 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I think it's acceptable provided not multipitch.
 Hooo 11 Mar 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Gabba.

Yeah! If you're gonna piss people off, do it properly.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Perfectly acceptable at venues like Horseshoe Quarry.

Not acceptable anywhere - why should anyone else have to listen to your music?

Chris
 Robin Woodward 11 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> If no one is around... why not? But if someone turns up it would be polite to turn it off or ask if they are ok with it (assuming most people would be too shy/polite to ask).

This, although I think there is a judgement call as to whether you think it's fairly obvious that someone would rather you weren't playing music/wouldn't say if they did care, or someone who you think genuinely wouldn't mind, but you're just checking.

There've been a few occasions where we've had some music on either on lazy "rest days", or early morning epics where a bit of music gives atmosphere and psyche to the group (particularly when climbing in a 3), but pretty much always turn it off without asking if someone else turned up. This was usually either midweek climbing trips or really early starts in the middle of no-where where we were fairly sure no-one would hear it.
andyathome 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Is it fine to play your music at the crag? Are boom boxes back in style now? .

Back in style? - I wouldn't have thought so. Surely everyone is immersed in their headphone/bud virtual world nowadays?

I recall 'ghetto blasters' (the term of the period) being deployed in the 70's/80's but who really carries that sort of kit around now?

OP FreshSlate 11 Mar 2014

Is it more acceptable at sport crags in general do you think?
 Dom Whillans 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Not acceptable anywhere - why should anyone else have to listen to your music?

wasn't munich climb or belle vue bastion originally climbed with a gramophone player belting out music? a precedent set near the birth of our sport...

Blackmud 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

As long as it's rock music I have no problems.
 Robert Durran 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
Totally unacceptable if anyone else is within earshot.
If people really do feel the need for music at a crag, they should use headphones (pretty obvious really).
Post edited at 20:07
 timjones 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Is it fine to play your music at the crag? Are boom boxes back in style now? .

It's fine as long as the owner of the "boom box" is aware of the risk of loud noises triggering rockfalls which may just happen to land on his "boom box"
OP FreshSlate 11 Mar 2014
In reply to timjones:

There were these teenagers playing with a boom box outside my mates house and this happened .

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/72644000/jpg/_72644320_020843727-1.jp...
 bpmclimb 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Blackmud:

> As long as it's rock music I have no problems.

Personally, I have the biggest problems if it's rock music! But I think it's selfish behaviour regardless of genre - in the outside environment it's noise pollution, and pretty much on a par with leaving litter or shitting right under the crag. In my opinion.
 Brown 11 Mar 2014

Not even at Stoney Electric Quarry. I always thought them obligatory to drown out the hum of the sub station.
 Bulls Crack 11 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Is it more acceptable at sport crags in general do you think?

No! Like Chris said - why should people have to listen to someone else's music?
In reply to FreshSlate:

Boom boxes (god that takes me back,) make excellent targets to practice your boulder bombing on.
 Jon Stewart 11 Mar 2014

> Perfectly acceptable at venues like Horseshoe Quarry.

Yeah, it's a grim, depressing place to go climbing, and someone else's crap music on a tinny speaker would fit in perfectly. I wouldn't object at Electric Quarry either.

At any other crag I would consider it absolutely unacceptable.
 Robert Durran 11 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Boom boxes (god that takes me back,) make excellent targets to practice your boulder bombing on.

When I as little my parents used to encourage me to accidentally take them out in campsites with the Frisbee. Excellent sport.

Tom Valentine 12 Mar 2014

I forgot the
 Morgan Woods 12 Mar 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Personally, I have the biggest problems if it's rock music! .

http://i.imgur.com/Nunye.jpg
 GrahamD 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Its plain bad manners to subject anyone else to your music choice, wherever.
 Tom Valentine 12 Mar 2014
In reply to andyathome:

> I recall 'ghetto blasters' (the term of the period) being deployed in the 70's/80's but who really carries that sort of kit around now?

Most builders. De Walt, Bosch, JCB, Makita.... they're all making a bomb flogging those radios which look like mini generators.

Rog Wilko 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Never acceptable in my view. What the music happens to be is a total irrelevance. I happen to think Shostakovich composed some of the best music ever written but would never subject anyone else to it or ask them if they were OK with it. Much better if people find things for themselves. :oD
 Red Rover 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
I go caving with a boom box but you dont often meet other people so its ok
Post edited at 10:04
 seankenny 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

"What kind of messages can we send from today's explorations? 'We are playing the Big Audio Dynamite tape, it seems to help'. To be honest, I don't see why not."
In reply to andyathome:

> I recall 'ghetto blasters' (the term of the period) being deployed in the 70's/80's

They also had a shorter two word name that was much less politically correct (if not downright offensive).

tizer 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

haha brilliant
 bpmclimb 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I was expressing a personal opinion, that I find rock music the least suitable and most off-putting type when climbing. I went on to express the more general opinion that playing any music at the crag was inconsiderate if there are other people around.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. What is this mysterious point of yours that you reckon I'm missing?
It's a difficult one.

When anybody hears the sound of the John Frusciante/Flea combo, they have to drop to there knees and bow repeatedly, chanting "We're not worthy!".

This can be problematic when pushing your grade
 cem 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

It's unacceptable.
I've had to put up with it several times in the US but never in the UK
 dj rivum 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Hooo:

I think people would climb quicker if a bit of gabba was being played. Nice bit of Lenny Dee and youll fly over the crux

andrewmc 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I started up the second pitch of Raven's Gully, Low Man, to the unexpected sound of pan pipes (actual pan pipes not recorded music)... someone was having some sort of spiritual experience thing. Was a bit surreal!
 Rog Wilko 12 Mar 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

We found a guy playing a didgeridoo in Robin Hood's Cave at Stanage many moons back. I quite enjoyed that. Does this raise the question as to weather live music at the crag is (more) acceptable compared to recorded music?
 Choss 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Im gonna say acoustic musical instrument playing is cool at the crag, electronic is not.
OP FreshSlate 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Used to a trad crag but some sport has been put up recently which is what the boom boxers were on. Makes sense I suppose. Younger people enjoy sport more.
 Mr. Lee 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

If there are ten or more people around the Boom Box and it was playing repetitive beats then wouldn't this be forbidden under the Criminal Justice Act?

Or El Cap
 The Pylon King 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Any beat is repetitive by definition.
 The Pylon King 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:
> Im gonna say acoustic musical instrument playing is cool at the crag, electronic is not.

.......like bagpipes?

or drum kit?
Post edited at 21:22
 Morgan Woods 12 Mar 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

Rock music.....rock climbing geddit?
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> We found a guy playing a didgeridoo in Robin Hood's Cave at Stanage many moons back. I

Was it outside of the season for hippy culling?
 bpmclimb 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Ah … a joke, you think? I just took it to mean he's one of those climbers who like rock when they're climbing - there's plenty of them around, judging by the racket at your average UK climbing wall or on a Masters of Stone vid
 Co1in H 12 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

No, not under any circumstances. It's just bad manners.
Oh yeah, manners, that's an old school thing.
 DaveN 13 Mar 2014

What about doing belle vue bastion in the style of the first ascent?
 Michael Gordon 13 Mar 2014
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I just took it to mean he's one of those climbers who like rock when they're climbing

most do, otherwise the route has got very overgrown!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...