UKC

A nice walk in Cham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 12 Mar 2014

Where can I go for a walk in Cham this weekend without it turning into an alpine epic? I considered Balcon sud but that is still a ski resort at the moment, what about balcon Sud or a walk up to the albert premier refuge? Ideally this walk will not involve avelanche danger or crevasses but snow plodding is ok
Post edited at 16:32
 jon 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Tyler:

The approach to Albert's is very avalanche prone. A completely safe (but rather shorter) option is to walk up to Loriaz above Vallorcine - the views into the massif or spectacular. The refuge de Loriaz is open/guarded for the first time in winter this year - most of the week, anyway:

Du 21/12/13 au 06/04/14, le refuge est ouvert du mercredi midi au dimanche fin d’après-midi et tous les jours pendant les vacances scolaires.

The forest track will be walkable as the gardienne goes up on a quad. The much nicer footpath will surely be well tracked but sometimes snowshoes can be a help. If it's too short you can always add on a diversion via Sur le Rocher and the lower part of the Berard valley, either in ascent or descent.
 uncdunc 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Tyler:

second the Loriaz walk. We went up last week on skis but most folk we saw were in snow shoes. This was before the hot spell so the snow will be more consolidated now and you may be able to go without 'shoes' but I'd take them if you've got them.
OP Tyler 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Tyler:

Thanks guys, sounds like the one to do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...