UKC

Portland sport for groups?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 12 Mar 2014

Anybody got any suggestions for the best areas of portland to take a group sport climbing? Needs to be plenty in the 4-6a Range and they're all competent climbers.

Cheers

Dan
Post edited at 18:44
In reply to Danbow73:

Godnor, Sacred Angel and The Veranda.......
In reply to Danbow73:

Neddyfields too.....
 burns_2k 13 Mar 2014
In reply to I like climbing:

I'm planning a trip to Portland this weekend. I went years ago but I've not really climbed much outdoors in the last few years. The Veranada sounds good, any idea if it has it been affected by the landslides at all?
In reply to burns_2k:
Sorry, I don't know. There are quite a few people on these forums who will probably have had a look recently so hopefully someone can advise.
 balmybaldwin 13 Mar 2014

Sacred Angel is far too busy most of the time for group work, and it has a dodgyish walk in (that I would not want to be responsible for a group on, there is very little space at the bottom of the crag, and what space there is seems to be liable to slippage at at the moment.

A far better location for a group would be the cuttings, but this is also very busy
 Jonathan Emett 13 Mar 2014
In reply to burns_2k:
> The Veranada sounds good, any idea if it has it been affected by the landslides at all?

According to the locals' survey it is ok (look at the landslide thread)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=578946&v=1#x7681893

I'd agree with balmybaldwin re Sacred Angel sector, the earth at the bottom has fallen away a metre or two at the RHS where the easy stuff is. That 3 with the nails hard move is probably even harder now.
Post edited at 10:29
 Jamie B 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Danbow73:

Pick up the guidebook?
 Al Evans 13 Mar 2014
> Neddyfields too.....

According to the BMC site Neddyfields has suffered a biggish landslide.
"Neddyfields Cliff, Portland
The grassy earth slope below the crag has slid away in a number of places, meaning the ground level at the bottom of the crag is now 10-15 feet lower than it was at some points. There are also sections where the flat terrace at the bottom where climbers belayed previously has now been replaced by a loose earth and rubble slope. The slides that have occurred may not have fully stabilised yet, and it's likely that a number of routes will now have their first bolts considerably higher than they were previously as a result of the ground level dropping. Extreme caution should be exercised if attempting to access this crag."
Post edited at 11:59
In reply to Al Evans:

Thanks for letting me know......sad news !
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I suppose the reality is that all the so called easier areas are liable to be busy. Good point about the slippage - that certainly needs checking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...