UKC

Karrimor Jackets - any good now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 12 Mar 2014

Anyone have any experience of the recent range of technical eVent jackets Karrimor are doing? Everything seems to "add up" when you read the reviews and look at the specs, but, well.....it's still Karrimor kit.

£80 for an "Alpinist" jacket....
£150 for a full on bomber one...

Looking for a new jacket for work, bomber+warm+reasonably cheap...seems to tick all the boxes!!??

Any thoughts or reviews appreciated.

Cheers,
Gordon
 Marcus Tierney 12 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:
The jacket and trouser combination looks good at the price. Check the hood on the jacket, its massive.
 splat2million 12 Mar 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

I have the "Elite Phantom" jacket and like it a lot. Got it in November so can't comment on long-term results yet, although no signs of problems after fairly regular use since then.

I have used it in horrible cold conditions in the Lake District over a powerstretch fleece and was very warm and dry when standing up to heavy snow / spindrift / hail. It's quite thick which makes it relatively heavy, and reduces the breathability a bit, but means it stands up to poor weather really well.
Four pockets is too much - you can only really use one each side anyway because they get in the way of each other and stop the main zip closing if they are all full.
The hood is excellent and well-adjustable. I have used it alone, over a primaloft jacket hood, and over a helmet and primaloft, and the fit is always good.
It feels very tough, I've used it for scrambling and climbing in Wales and the Lakes and managed not to damage it.
The built in whistle is a bit annoying, I cut mine off.

The price is ok, but there are other very good jackets you can get for £150 so I'm not sure its a very cheap option, although certainly beats others with the same features for price. No idea how it would stand up in comparison to the more pricey jackets as they are out of my budget.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...