UKC

Scottish sking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil0968 12 Mar 2014
Which is better cairngorm or Glenshee
 MG 12 Mar 2014
In reply to neil0968:

Glenshee in most ways
Tim Chappell 13 Mar 2014
In reply to neil0968:

For what? It all depends what you're after.

Glen Shee has better weather but thaws faster. Cairn Gorm has less terrain but more enticing ski-mountaineering options. Glen Shee has more for a really good skier who is actively looking for difficult pistes, and the best mogul field in Scotland (on the Tiger, when it's open, and when it develops). Cairn Gorm has better scenery, and as a rule, more dependable good snow, because it's higher. Glen Shee is better for queues, and has a wider variety of aspects...

Oh, and Glen Shee has revolting food. I don't know whether the food is even worse at Cairn Gorm, I've never risked it, but the Glen Shee cafeteria's pehs are minging
Post edited at 14:35
 AG 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Glenshee - always open when snow and conditions allow (great cover at the moment esp in corrie fionn) - lots of great off piste in the bowls in garbh choire etc and creag leacach . Rarely queues at this time of year, lots of lifts , three glens to ski around...pies at glenshee are very good IMO....
Cairngorm - not open if there's too much snow on finicular track, affected by winds a lot ,limited lifts, lots of queues, expensive lift pass, food ok but again expensive and the cafe is far too small. Plus side ; holds snow well, off piste over the back good

Tim Chappell 13 Mar 2014
In reply to AG:

We obviously have irreconcilable differences over what counts as a good pie

Skiing at Aonach Mor yesterday, I was very struck by how limited the terrain was. Maybe it's just that I don't know it very well, but there seemed to be, basically, one slope available. Maybe there's more doing when everything's open. But I was only on it for an hour or so, and in that time I pretty much skied it out, without really trying to. If I hadn't been planning an off-piste adventure, and had just been piste-skiing, I think I might have got a bit restive at all the repeats I'd have been doing.
In reply to neil0968:

Glenshee customer service is truly abominable!
 Roguevfr 16 Mar 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Any particular reason, or just your general take on it?
 davy_boy 17 Mar 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Glenshee customer service is truly abominable!

I would say the opposite and that cairngorms customer service is terrible compared with glenshee. but everyone has differing opinions lol.
 Cuthbert 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Roguevfr:

I would say they are all ok customer service wise. When the skiing is good, skiing in Scotland is great. When the skiing is not good, it's not good. Pretty similar to anywhere else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...