Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Was offered a job last week, now I think I've blown it

cb_6 - on 13 Mar 2014
Last Friday I was offered a job, but I have to admit the salary was lower than I was expecting. Basically it was the same as my current salary, but this new job is based in central London while my current job is based outside of the city. Generally you'd expect a London based job to pay more due to higher cost of living.

Anyway, I asked for a little more money, and the employer said he'd get back to me this week. Initially I heard nothing from him, but he eventually got back to me this evening saying he couldn't better the original offer. He finished the email with 'I wish you luck in your future endeavours', which implies to me 'you've had your chance mate, see you later'. Maybe I'm just being paranoid because I'm tired...

I'll phone him tomorrow and tell him I'm still interested in the original offer (even at the same salary it would still be better than my current job for a variety of reasons) but was I wrong to negotiate? Is it common for an employer to withdraw a job offer if you've asked for money? Is there any particular tact I should take when I call him? I'm really worried and I'd be gutted not to get this job
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums