UKC

Indian Peak Fees Cut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 L.A. 13 Mar 2014
For those of you interested in going further afield than the Peak.
The Indian Mountaineering Foundation have announced that they have cut peak fees by 50% for 2014/2015

http://www.indmount.org/newsdetail.aspx?Aid=89

Unfortunately the L/O`s fee and requirements appear to be unchanged and the Uttarakhand Province extra fees for Gangotri+Garhwal etc still apply
 Damo 13 Mar 2014
In reply to L.A.:

Pah! Tinkering around the edges of a clusterphuc.

I enquired to one of the main agencies just a few weeks ago, for a June trip, and they were unable to confirm that Uttarkhand fee had been removed, as previously advertised, and in fact even then could not confirm the 50% reduction. Nor could they obtain permission for a peak not on the lists, despite it being right next to a very permitted peak.

They've admitted there is a problem with unauthorised climbing in Himachal and yet do nothing to discourage it by making the system more workable. Uttarkhan / Gangotri etc was decimated by the floods last year and needs tourism, so what do they do? Make it even harder to go there and provide work to the locals. Absurd.
OP L.A. 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Damo: You`re in a sunny mood today
Personally Ive never seen how Uttarkhand gets away with justifying that extra fee. Its got bugger all to do with any money going into conservation despite what they claim. Its certainly put me and many others off from going back to that region over the last couple of years-Maybe thats the plan ?
However the IMF are still saying that fee is being collected by UP.
It would also be helpful if the LO situation could be similar to Pakistans more reasonable stance (Not a phrase thats often used !)Even Nepal seems enlightened compared to the Indian LO system
You tried to get permission for a peak not on the IMF lists ? After all this time Id have thought youd have known better than to waste your time and hopes on beating/understanding Indian bureaucracy
Looks like another Nepal trip this year for you ?
 Damo 13 Mar 2014
In reply to L.A.:

> You`re in a sunny mood today

> Looks like another Nepal trip this year for you ?

Hey don't get me started on bloody Nepal! Grrr.

:-D
 Damo 13 Mar 2014
In reply to L.A.:

> You`re in a sunny mood today

> It would also be helpful if the LO situation could be similar to Pakistans more reasonable stance (Not a phrase thats often used !)Even Nepal seems enlightened compared to the Indian LO system

While I'm telling everybody what to do…

I reckon India could do well out of adopting a broader version of the latest offering from Nepal. That is, lease out mountains to commercial interests to run the climbing. But rather than the Nepal idea of one mountain leased, lease a whole valley, to make it more worthwhile for all involved.

Set up a big BC somewhere like the Bara Shigri, or some other mostly enclosed glacial system surrounded by doable peaks, and just charge an overall fee that amortises multiple reduced peak fees in with BC costs. Guides and porters above BC are extra. Like the Soviet camps, but with more and lower peaks, maybe a list of 6-8 mountains within two days walk, of various difficulties.

Fixed ropes only on some guided routes. Once central BC to concentrate impact and rubbish. One or two LOs for the whole thing. Stay as long as you like, and can pay, during the season. India has the road access to make this happen, whereas Nepal does not. Pakistan doesn't have enough easy peaks close enough to a road.

And my Finder's Fee and Annual Commissions are very reasonable
OP L.A. 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Damo: This is an internet forum Please stop trying to come up with reasoned ideas as it spoils it for us all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...