UKC

GPS Security for Bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tri-nitro-tuolumne 13 Mar 2014
Has anyone seen or used either of these products:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/385904042/shyspy-gps-gsm-tracker-for-b...

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/spylamp2.jsp

I think there is a fundamental problem with any retro fitted device. You can't advertise that your bike has a GPS tracker fitted to deter a thief. Therefore they don't make the theft of your bike any less likely, although they do make the recovery more likely (how much more likely is debatable).

I would like to see devices fitted into the frame at manufacture (e.g. in the downtube) that can't be removed from the bike. Then you can label the bike as having a GPS tracker fitted.

Any thoughts?
 JayPee630 13 Mar 2014
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:

Why can't you advertise it with a sticker? Surely they wouldn't know that it wasn't hidden in the frame?

I vaguely remember seeing some ones you could hide in the frame yourself. Anyone seen that as well?
 balmybaldwin 13 Mar 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Because the sticker says "find the tracker and have a free bike?"
 wilkesley 13 Mar 2014

There are quite a few of these GPS tracking devices about. Most aren't designed for bikes, but could be adapted. As you point out externally mounted devices are easily removable, but even devices mounted in a frame can be disabled. Anything fitted inside the frame would have problems communicating, unless there was some sort of external aerial.

I think one of the main problems at the moment is battery life and ease of recharging.
 JayPee630 13 Mar 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

But surely the point is it makes it a massive deterrent to the casual and probably not so casual thief?
 The New NickB 13 Mar 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Surely it works as a deterrent along with other security measures, plus I am sure the technology is compact enough these days to hide it pretty well.
 wilkesley 13 Mar 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> But surely the point is it makes it a massive deterrent to the casual and probably not so casual thief?

In some ways I would rather the thief wasn't aware the device was fitted. If they knew one was fitted, or if almost everyone had one, they would no doubt invent some method of neutralising the device. Assuming the tracker works, it should be easy to track down your bike once it's nicked.

Many vehicles like diggers and Hi-Macs now have tracker devices fitted. It would be interesting to know if these have made any difference in stolen vehicles being recovered, or act as a deterrent.
 JayPee630 13 Mar 2014
In reply to wilkesley:

My understanding having chatted to a few cops is that cars basically very rarely get stolen nowadays due to better security.
 balmybaldwin 13 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I think that's the problem, most of the products available are "easy fit" and with a small amount of research its easy to work out where they'll be. a lot of the devices I've seen replace the steerer tube cap (by pushing the star washer deeper) and can be removed with an allen key. Others go inside the seat tube... both of which are easy to remove.
KevinD 13 Mar 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> My understanding having chatted to a few cops is that cars basically very rarely get stolen nowadays due to better security.

Thats not so much tracking as being more difficult to hotwire etc.
Although it has resulted in people breaking into the houses to nick the keys instead (hence why the traditional cheaper insurance for parking off road isnt always true now).
 RomTheBear 13 Mar 2014

So far I think that getting a bicycle insurance is less expensive than these devices, and also covers for accidental damage, damage to others etc etc...
 mutt 13 Mar 2014

seems to me that a decent lock is still the best option, probably weighs about the same as the GPS battery pack, isn't removable, doesn't run out of power, gives a <1m position fix unless you have lost it in the shed, acknowedged by insurance industry so you can claim, cheaper to buy, no service charges.

much better to not get the bike nicked in the first place.

martinph78 13 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Surely it works as a deterrent along with other security measures, plus I am sure the technology is compact enough these days to hide it pretty well.

In that case, just put a sticker on your bike saying it has a tracker fitted and save your money The thief won't know either way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...