UKC

Climbing in morocco (modest clothing for women)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 13 Mar 2014
I was reading in the guide book today that you should wear sleeves while climbing. Do ladies need to cover up totally? Or is just a t shirt okay (no tank tops etc) what is considered appropraite?

Also did you use local currency or euros? Been told mixed things

Thanks!
 Nexonen 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

A t-shirt will be fine for climbing. Just dress moderately in the cities, trousers and a t-shirt are fine, there are always the tourists who dress like they're in Ibiza and they look ridiculous.

Currency is dirhams, they don't take euros (if they do it would be a rip off). You need to change currency when you're there.
OP Kemics 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Nexonen:

ah, hadnt realized it was a closed currency.

One more quick question - did anyone bother taking a sleeping bag or are all the hotels equipped with bedding? I'm not sure what to expect as some of my travels have taught me to understand just how vague the term 'hotel' is
 Ander 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Where are you going?

In Tafraoute, cover your sleeves in town/ around people, but climbing you'll be fine, as there won't be many people round.
 Ander 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Also, look at the pictures in the guide book- particularly pictures of and by the guidebook author.
 Ander 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

As for sleeping bag, it will depend where exactly you;re staying. in the places I saw the bedding was perfectly clean, but at Xmas it was very cold at night, and a light sleeping bag would have supplemented the bedding nicely. I think night time temps are a bit higher at the moment, so you would probably be fine.
 scruff 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

IMO if you cover up reasonably well in towns & on public transport you'll get a fair bit more respect/less hassle, especially from older folk and in more out of the way places.

Personal choice is shirts (try the charity shops) and trousers that you can role the sleeves/legs up on. Mrs went for a similar (but more stylish) combo - just avoid anything figure hugging.
 Mr Trebus 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Others who have experience of Morocco have probably given better advice, but I have always found this site useful for cultural insight. www.culturecrossing.net

Al
In reply to Kemics:

That you're asking the question means you have nothing to worry about. Locals are less bothered than you think, but it certainly never hurts to exceed expectations - so kudos to you.

Shoulders and knees covered will satisfy everybody.

Which hotel are you staying in?
OP Kemics 15 Mar 2014
In reply to maisie:

Okay cool! I think she should be fine by the sound of things .

Really havnt planned too much out, past a plane ticket out there and a hire car when we arrive I've tried emailing a few places but got no response so just going to wing it. We're aiming to head down to the tafraoute area. Possibly the kasbah place (further north?) and hotel les amandiers?

Any suggestions, tips or recommendations are extremely welcome!
In reply to Kemics:

Take loads of pens with you, they lack pens, really good for trade. And, when you are not interested in buying anything, be rude, ignore them, totally blank them out!

Tim
 Ramblin dave 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

The Kasbah is great. Really amazing place to stay, and very friendly. Loads of climbing nearby.
In reply to Kemics:

The Moroccans are fairly liberal compared to many Muslim countries, but it's still worth respecting their culture. They don't expect western tourists to 'cover up', but we've heard a few complaints and discomfort from some of the older and more religious members of the community - as a general rule it's worth keeping shoulders and knees covered. This isn't a major hardship, as long trousers work well against prickly vegetation, and T-shirts are fine for climbing in. T-shirt and long trousers works fine in towns and villages too.

I'd advise against strappy tops for the girls, and topless for the boys, as this has caused offence in the past, both in towns and out in the mountains. We even got pulled over once by the cops purely because a girl in the passenger seat was wearing clothing which they deemed provocative!

As someone else already mentioned - you'll see tourists dressed like it's Ibiza, but that doesn't mean the locals approve. Given how closely the climbing community comes to some fairly remote and religious villages it's worth keeping them on side and dressing appropriately.

Dirhams are controlled, but you can get them beyond passport control at most UK airports, or on arrival in Morocco. The Hotel Les Amandiers accepts Sterling and Euros as well as Dirham, but everywhere else you'll need Dirham.
OP Kemics 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

Amazing. Thanks for the advice, we had one day at the beach and even though my girlfriend was very covered up. It was still a bit pervy

One last question! How relaxed are the traffic law/fines etc. we have rented a car and want to drive to the crag, if we have more passengers than seats (small car) and put people on laps (no seat belts) is it a risk? So far people actually seem quite well behaved on the roads. I'm used to India/Asia with cars stacked full and 5 people on one scooter etc

I'm worried we will get pulled for fines as we have seen the odd police check point
OP Kemics 17 Mar 2014
Specifically 7 people in a Renault Clio
 Ramblin dave 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Kemics:

> So far people actually seem quite well behaved on the roads.

Are you sure you're in the right place?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...