UKC

Cheers but I'll walk the next bit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Mar 2014
Another reason not to go to the Himalaya?

youtube.com/watch?v=NT-B2O9wfTI&

Chris
 Rob Parsons 13 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I think that clip's been posted here before, but the thing to appreciate - particularly if you've never travelled in those parts - is just how great, and how brave, the road building is.
 The Pylon King 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Yeah, proper out there.
 Cheese Monkey 14 Mar 2014

Been on plenty of similar roads in much bigger vehicles. Scary. Going across the waterfalls always was the worst bit for me, water=erosion=landslide
 Blue Straggler 16 Mar 2014

It's like The Wages of Fear (minus the TNT)
 dominic lee 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler: We are the self preservation society !!!???

deepsoup 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Pedant alert:

> It's like The Wages of Fear (minus the TNT)
Nitroglycerin. There would be much less fear if the cargo were TNT.
 Blue Straggler 16 Mar 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

A good point and well made. Thank you.

youtube.com/watch?v=LlDgySQGxO4&
 Al Evans 17 Mar 2014

I think our route through Tibet in 1988 was more frightening than that, there had been a landside just outside Zhigatse wiping away a village and 600 lives plus the road. A makeshift road had been constructed through the remaining scree but it was a zig zag, and the trucks had to do a three point turn at every bend. We were in the back of a military truck and on one of the bends the wheels started to slip, we got to the edge of the 1000ft drop and could see no road beneath us and the back of the lorry, just the drop, we all got ready to jump rather than go down with it, just as the wheels, still on the scree, started to grip. Possibly the most scared I have ever been in my life, as were some battled hardened Marines and SAS. Several more times on that journey we all had to get out and remove fallen landslips from the road, it seemed to just all be in a days work for the Nepalese and Tibetan drivers.
 martinph78 17 Mar 2014

Traveled on lots of roads similar to, or worse than, that one. It makes you appreciate life, especially when it's not you driving!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...