UKC

climbing trip, dyspraxia and my cold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

I was planning to head to the Peak District on Saturday to climb Sunday but I have got a cold.

As many people know I suffer from Dyspraxia.

Is it safe for me to second routes if I have a cold and suffer from very mild Dyspraxia.

I would very grateful for any advice.

Bye

Savvas
 climbwhenready 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Yes.
 mrchewy 14 Mar 2014

I've been in the Peak the last two days Savvas - lovely and sunny, if a little too warm! You'll have the rope safely above you, go and enjoy.
 Ffion Blethyn 14 Mar 2014

You'll be fine!

Send you an email.
In reply to climbwhenready:

Hello.

Really?

Even a sneezy cold with runny eyes and runny nose?

Bye

Savvas
In reply to mrchewy:

Hello mrchewy.

Jim Pope said it might be a bit too hot for grit!

Bouldering would be an alternative!

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

Hi.

I have replied to your e-mail.

Cool beanz

Bye

Savvas
 Jonny2vests 15 Mar 2014

> Hello mrchewy.

> Jim Pope said it might be a bit too hot for grit!

Only if you're climbing Jim Pope grades..

I've got dyslexia, dyspraxia and a mild bit of autism (yes i know they're all on the autistic spectrum but i mean Asperger) and in good climbing on 4 hours sleep and a hangover so I think you'll be ok unless your balance is completely shot.

It may be a bit on the warm for grit but its worth a try dude.
 deacondeacon 15 Mar 2014

Hey mate. I went climbing at Stanage yesterday afternoon and trust me, it wasn't too hot. I had to climb in my down jacket! Anyone telling you it's too hot for grit is quite frankly talking bollocks.
As for climbing with a cold, well I don't know if dyspraxia is affected by a cold but if you'd normally still go indoor climbing you'll be fine.

We can do some bouldering if you prefer but i really think you'll have more success, and a better day doing some routes. Stanage is a great crag for climbing at your level but not so good for bouldering.

See you on Sunday

Oceanrower 15 Mar 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

> See you on Sunday

I bet you don't.
 dr_botnik 15 Mar 2014

I hope you make it up Savvas, the weather here is mild for spring, but remember to wear a jumper and bring a warm coat, I'm sure you will forget about your cold once you have climbed a couple of routes! Get on it!
In reply to Mad Hatter 1988:

Hello Mad Hatter.

Poor you.

How do do it?....

....Climb with all those conditions.

Bye

Savvas

I never really viewed it as a problem in all honesty, when I found out at 16 about that lot there wasn't really a lot I could do about it anyway. Climbing seem to hold my attention well though, for obvious reason I suppose, so that's not to bad.

I do sometimes have bad days with my balance and fall over when I'm stood still on flat ground so if im having one of those I'll just drop a grade or so. Apart from that i just crack on with it.
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Hello Jonny.

What grades does he climb?

I know he has head pointed an E6 or two!

Maybe he has red pointed F8b?

Bye

Savvas

Hello.

It has never bothered me much until I got into the whole outdoor thing.

I had problems on my first and only hillwalking meet where I was the slowest of the group.

I know you can have physiotherapy for some of the symptoms of Dyspraxia.

How does the Dyslexia affect you when you read guidebooks?

Bye

Savvas

I do sometimes have trouble walking with groups I'm not that familiar with as I tend to walk slowly and take fewer breaks, but as long as my navigation is alright it makes me an excellent tail end Charlie as I tend to pick up the stragglers and get them moving again/make sure they don't get lost.

guidebook's can be a pain for me depending on the font, I've got special glasses with coloured lenses to help me read but they're bloody expensive so I don't tend to take them to the crag with me, I struggle with topos more than anything, i never seem to be able to figure out where I am in relation to the picture and I'm not brilliant at judging distance by eye so it can be a bit tricky. I tend to just give it to someone else :-D
 tlm 15 Mar 2014

> I've got special glasses with coloured lenses to help me read but they're bloody expensive so I don't tend to take them to the crag with me,

Have you ever tried a cheap bit of see-through plastic in the colour that helps you to read? Just put it over the page, then read. You could have a sheet the same size as the guide book and use it as a book-mark too!
 Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2014

> it makes me an excellent tail end Charlie as I tend to pick up the stragglers

You can leave my tail end well alone!

deacondeacon 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

> I bet you don't.

That's nice.
 Climbingspike 15 Mar 2014

> That's nice.

His last post was at 16-42 ( sav ) what time will he arrive ??
Think I might join in that bet !
 deacondeacon 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Climbingspike:

I already know he's not coming, but you guys can have your fun, or you could just ignore a post that doesn't concern you.
 Climbingspike 15 Mar 2014

> I already know he's not coming, but you guys can have your fun, or you could just ignore a post that doesn't concern you.

Excuse me, where do you get off telling me what concerns me?
In reply to tlm:

Yer I've got some, its a bit awkward as the colour that works for me is an odd purple that needs to sheets, i did cut one down but its still awkward.

I find just wearing sunglasses helps as it dials down how bright it is, my reading troubles stem partly from struggling with contrast. Luckily for me guidebooks are rarely printed in a font that kicks it all off.

Blue straggler: I only get involved with tail ends in invited to so you'll be alright.
 Jonny2vests 16 Mar 2014

> Hello Jonny.

> What grades does he climb?

> I know he has head pointed an E6 or two!

Yeah, hard enough to have to worry about temperature, whereas all the rest of us sub E6 mortals need to worry about is moisture.

Hello.

For me it was the uneven ground that slowed me down and the fact I had not done a hillwalking course before I joined the club.

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Hello.

True....

I agree with you 100%.

In head pointing do you say 6b or 6c and only use the adjective for onsiting?

Bye

Savvas
 liz j 16 Mar 2014

Did you go climbing today Savvas? It was lovely weather for it.
 alooker 16 Mar 2014

Great advice, hope you guys got out and had a good day. Seemed like it'd be windy up at stanage today!
 Jonny2vests 16 Mar 2014

> Hello.

> True....

> I agree with you 100%.

> In head pointing do you say 6b or 6c and only use the adjective for onsiting?

Normally you just state the whole grade and the style you climbed it.

> Savvas

In reply to liz j:

Hello Liz.

No.

I cancelled because I had a very bad cold!

Bye

Savvas
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Hello Johnny.

So Jim would say E6 6b head pointed.

Bye

Savvvas
 Jonny2vests 17 Mar 2014

Yeah.
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Cool as beanz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...