UKC

john dunne footage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hatman 14 Mar 2014
anyone know some clips of John Dunne climbing in his prime? Would love to see them
 Sherlock 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:
There is a whole vid,The Big Issue,which I remember as being quite interesting.Features The Big Issue in Pembroke,New Statesman,Sloping Beauty,Parthian Shot and plenty others.Some of these were top rope ascents as they were too serious to lead twice which was fair enough I thought.Can't find the date but it was filmed by Sid Perou and out on Northern Films.HTH.

Mark Collins 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Sherlock:

I for one would love to see that re-released on DVD or similar.
 phleppy 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

I've got that copied from DVD on file, being meaning to copy to a DVD disc but haven't got round to it, tried putting it on Vimeo but it wasn't having any of it, it's a good little film although it isn't HD obviously!
 spidermonkey09 15 Mar 2014
In reply to phleppy:
Dropbox?! Or youtube maybe... I'd love to see that.
Post edited at 11:08
 Choss 15 Mar 2014
In reply to phleppy:

I would Like to see it too, if you can get it up to vimeo or youtube?
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

I might have a digital copy of The Big Issue. Hang on while I have a rummage.
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

Here you go, chaps. Fill yer boots:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32048777/John%20Dunne%20-%20The%20Big%20Issue.ASF

I initially tried to put it on Youtube, but it wanted me to create a channel and I just didn't want to jump through those hoops. If someone else wants to upload it to Youtube, go for it.
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

UKC wouldn't accept the link I just posted until I removed "https://" from the start of it. So you may have to add that bit yourself.

Please note it's https, not http.
 spidermonkey09 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:
Hmm can't make that work - thanks a lot though! I'll happily upload to youtube if I can get hold of it though! Might be my computer- anyone else managed it?
Post edited at 16:12
 StephenS 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

I keep getting an error message as well
 UKB Shark 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Is it widescreen ?
 marky 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

Worked for me but needed to replace http with https
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Sorry about that. Dropbox had this to say about it: "This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

*** PLEASE DO NOT TRY THE DROPBOX LINK, FOLKS! ***

I'm currently uploading to Youtube. I'll post a link when it's done.
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

Oh, fiddlesticks. It's telling me 86 minutes to do the upload, and I think I have to press a button after that. Thing is, I'm going out to drink lovely beer in half an hour. I'll be back later this evening to finish the job.

Thanks for your patience.
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to shark:

> Is it widescreen ?

'Fraid not - it's a rip from an old VHS tape.

For those of you fortunate enough to be too young to remember VHS, try this: drink 8 pints of cider. Go to bed at 4am, then get up at 6am. Rub sand in your eyes. Sit down and watch the telly. Congratulations - you've just replicated the VHS experience.
 Thrudge 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Oh FFS... Youtube say the file is too big (350Mb) and I can't upload the video unless I give them my phone number. Frankly, they can ram it right up their overbearing, intrusive, privacy-invading, data-gathering arse.

Would anyone who dragged it off my Dropbox folder be willing to upload, please?
 Big Steve 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

have you tried vimeo?
 Thrudge 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Big Steve:

Done at last:

vimeo.com/89221247
 JLS 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Cheers for that.
 gethin_allen 16 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

excellent, thanks for putting that up.
 Andrew Wilson 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Thanks for that.
 Choss 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Cheers Tony, that were Proper good
 gaz parry 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Did anybody think to ask the guy that made this film or even John Dunne. Rather than openly discussing this on a forum and then ripping it off?
 gethin_allen 16 Mar 2014
In reply to gaz parry:

> Did anybody think to ask the guy that made this film or even John Dunne. Rather than openly discussing this on a forum and then ripping it off?

True I guess, John is even on ukc. Still a quality film, I'll have to visit one of his walls as payment for the entertainment.
 Choss 16 Mar 2014
In reply to gaz parry:

There are countless old Climbing films on youtube, vimeo, etc.

Is there really any Issue? Its more of a Minority historical Interest than a Commercial one. I cant see Sid Perou or john Dunne objecting to people Taking an Interest in this. If they do they can always request it be Taken down, no harm done.

Removed User 16 Mar 2014
Is he working Gerty Berwick at the end?

Bulls Crack 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> 'Fraid not - it's a rip from an old VHS tape.

Hook line etc!
 Andrew Wilson 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

That's what I thought.
 Chris Aston 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

steve taylor 17 Mar 2014
In reply to gaz parry:

> Did anybody think to ask the guy that made this film or even John Dunne. Rather than openly discussing this on a forum and then ripping it off?

My thoughts precisely.
In reply to gaz parry:

Totally agree, Gaz.

It makes no difference how many other climbing films there are knocking about online. I appreciate that this is all in good spirit etc., but the material could still be copyright and it might be worth checking with the author beforehand.
 Marek 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stevemarkperry:
> (In reply to gaz parry)
>
> Totally agree, Gaz.
>
> It makes no difference how many other climbing films there are knocking about online. I appreciate that this is all in good spirit etc., but the material could still be copyright and it might be worth checking with the author beforehand.

Or to be more precise, the copyright owner. If this was a commercial film then the climber/cameraman/author are unlikely to own the copyright.
 Thrudge 17 Mar 2014
In reply to gaz parry:

I initially took the view that it's no longer commercially available, so all is well.

Having read your comments and similar ones from others, I can only agree. So, I've deleted the video from Vimeo.

Tony the Blade 17 Mar 2014

Damn, missed the boat! I had a copy but it got lost in one of my house moves.

I also used to have Stone Monkey on VHS, recorded from Ch4 in the 80's... Mrs wiped it by recording over it, Doh. (I know have the DVD copy)
 Micky J 17 Mar 2014
In reply to hatman:

he certainly wasnt in his prime when they shot the video .....which was for me cleared any rumours up of Parthian as he manages to top rope it while being about 2 stone heavier than when he did it !
 Mick Ward 17 Mar 2014
In reply to death drop:

Exactly what I thought when I saw this yonks ago. Obviously well within his physical capability. Plus being psyched for the FA of one on the best unclimbed lines on grit...

Living in Sheffield back then, I was always staggered when folk I knew - top climbers and generally good guys - just wouldn't have it that he'd done Parthian. Such disrespect. Still can't understand it. 'Not invented here', I suppose.

The dignity which he displayed over many years is massively to his credit. I'd have been spitting feathers, nutting people in the street, whatever - especially with my mates getting crap too. But he kept his composure, in fine style. Very impressive.

Mick

andyathome 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

And good to see the sequence of pics in 'Peak Rock' confirming all that was said about the validity of the ascent!
Removed User 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

It would be interesting to hear a 'right of reply' from Johnny Dawes. It's ironic if that Dunne wasn't accepted because he didn't fit it the mould, considering Dawes once described himself as an outsider because he was a 'short fat borderline alcoholic.'

Divided years looks gobsmacking. Has it been repeated? I got a bit out the loop not long after he did this so never heard of anyone else doing it. Would have thought MacLeod and Birkett might have made the trip by now.

And I'm pretty sure one of my friends broke his ankle at a Yorkshire crag and was single handedly carried back to his car by an 18 year old JD.

FactorXXX 17 Mar 2014

Divided years looks gobsmacking. Has it been repeated? I got a bit out the loop not long after he did this so never heard of anyone else doing it. Would have thought MacLeod and Birkett might have made the trip by now.

Uncanny: -

http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2006/07/divided-years.html
http://mournesclimbers.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4...
Removed User 17 Mar 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

Ah! Thanks, yes it rings a vague bell now that DMac had gone there but couldn't remember. Cheers.
 Mick Ward 17 Mar 2014

> It would be interesting to hear a 'right of reply' from Johnny Dawes.

As far as I know, he's never been denied a reply. It appears he has strong views on the subject. Probably best not to go there.

> It's ironic if that Dunne wasn't accepted because he didn't fit it the mould, considering Dawes once described himself as an outsider because he was a 'short fat borderline alcoholic.'

Agree - ironic indeed. I'll not be popular for saying this (but sod it!) Problem is that neither were fully paid up members of the Sheffield mafia.

> Divided years looks gobsmacking. Has it been repeated? I got a bit out the loop not long after he did this so never heard of anyone else doing it. Would have thought MacLeod and Birkett might have made the trip by now.

Divided Years is simply stunning. I used to drool at it for hours circa 1970. It really is something else. I believe it's been done by both the above and some of the locals. It's quite a spooky, atmospheric crag. It's got an aura.

> And I'm pretty sure one of my friends broke his ankle at a Yorkshire crag and was single handedly carried back to his car by an 18 year old JD.

Can well imagine. An amazing climber, totally gutsy guy, got crapped on by the establishment of the day. They're 20 years older now and probably regret their treatment of him.

Mick
 FactorXXX 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Living in Sheffield back then, I was always staggered when folk I knew - top climbers and generally good guys - just wouldn't have it that he'd done Parthian. Such disrespect. Still can't understand it. 'Not invented here', I suppose.

He had the same response when he did 'The Big Issue'.

Rob Exile Ward 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

Is it worth mentioning that the time I met him - on Malham, cheerfully set on doing a first ascent on New Year's day - he was as friendly as could be?

And I won't forget the sight of him high on the crag, miles above gear, weather poor, (new Years' day FFS!) muttering 'when in doubt, run it out'... and finishing. Trad 6a I think.

Top bloke.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...