UKC

Runner's Block

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KaRun 15 Mar 2014
Used to live for running, ran the New York Marathon and became a personal trainer after that. Used to run for distance 5 times a week 2 days a week off was still exercising with clients. Ran the London marathon in 2012 and got injured at mile 9. Limped to the finish line, crushed! Haven't been able to get back to it properly since (despite running a half marathon later that year). Anyone overcome runners block? Read an article about it last year but need something to snap me out of this. I miss it so much!
 The Potato 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Fletcherella:

plan a route on a map and go run, its easy man.
Find a local club and go run
um just go run
 wbo 15 Mar 2014
Well i think i would start by not focussing on marathons, and i absolutely would not go longer.

What do you enjoy, hope to get from running? Are you doing anything at all, or are we talking specifically that you can't race marathons now?
OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to wbo:

I run probably about once a week now and only 5k - probably because I only do it once a week. Running used to clear my head and I felt amazing after it. Climbing does that too but running is not weather dependent for me. Right now it's mental block dependant grrr...
OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Ha I know - I've got some weird mental block after training so much for London and then it all going wrong. Need to snap out of this somehow it's been almost 2 years of not running 5 times a week :/
 wbo 15 Mar 2014

On the day you run , how do you feel before/after? Wha time of day, and where do you run - road, park, gym.......
OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to wbo:

I run late morning just before lunch right now. That's not going to be doable soon due to work and my optimum time to run is before 9am (or was). I used to get such a buzz to have done a 6 miler before breakfast and it set me up for the day. Right now I am just constantly disappointed with time and pace so it doesn’t give me the same feeling. I know I know this is because I don't run enough times to improve. Feel so stuck with no motivation to get up early to get it done but I'm dying to...

OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to wbo:

Oh and road always - can't do a treadmill, too boring!
 StefanB 15 Mar 2014

Start running trails and forget about pace and distance for now. Using running as way to get to places and see things.
 JamButty 15 Mar 2014

Trails and hills - that way your pace will be forced down and you may even end up walking (I do!), so no need to worry about pace!!
OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Well Steff ive just put that sentence at the front of my phone "Use running to get places and see things" - Im going out of my mind not running every day so Im willing to try anything! Thank you
OP KaRun 15 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

That's a good idea to try and get my head out of being down about my pace and will coincide with the advice just before you - to run to see things (if I get to the top of the hill haha!)

Im not the best trail walker let alone runner but I guess that can give me something new to focus on - practising that. Really grateful for the advice
 wbo 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Fletcherella: Some thoughts, as I don't where you live, but when I am injured I get up early anyway and go for a walk instead. This is not your situation, but if you do this for a couple of weeks you'll get used to the routine, especially if you wear your running clothes, or a version of.

Also you need to accept you're not going to come back at 100% performance

I am tending to see this as a mental thing tho', so you just need to get gently into the routine. I would stick to mornings as you're used to that - waiting till the evening will just increase the pressure
OP KaRun 16 Mar 2014
In reply to wbo:

That's really good advice. Strangely got up today early and took my son up Pen Y Fan and felt good even doing that so early in the morning so great to come back to that advice after a great day today! Definitely will be trying that, thank you!
 lizard-16-07 16 Mar 2014

If you're getting down about pace and time, don't take a watch with you. It'll mean that you have to focus on other things, like what's going on around you and you'll be able to let your mind wander a bit and let your legs carry on on their own. Yep agree with using running to see new things. Even around my local area I've been surprised by where some roads lead, hidden little parks etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...