UKC

castle inn area more routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Os_878 16 Mar 2014
Was at castle inn on Friday 7th march & met a gent who informed me a new crag had been bolted/ cleaned within walking distance of Castle inn, does anyone know it? Pictures? He said it will be in the new guide (cant wait for that guide).
 mark hounslea 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Start with your back to castle inn crag. Walk down the short steep access road. Turn right on main road and after 50 metres turn left on footpath which leads through a ramshackle farm with a hole in the roof. Turn right through a gate and contour across the hillside through a wood for about 100 metres. Crag up on right. Very sheltered, about 20 routes F5 to F6c. 10 min walk from castle inn crag
 jezb1 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Cool! Is it any good?
 Al Evans 17 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Bump, this is important beta.
 Rampikino 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Bump again. I think I can see where this is on google maps.
OP Os_878 17 Mar 2014
In reply to mark hounslea:

does the crag have a name yet? i think ive found it on Bing
Removed User 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Perhaps you can give us a googlemap link, since bing sucks :p

maps.google.com
 georgeb 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

sure it's called golf ball wall.
 Bulls Crack 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

> Bump again. I think I can see where this is on google maps.

Looks quite long!
 pete johnson 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Marian Bach
 armus 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Os_878:

> Was at castle inn on Friday 7th march & met a gent who informed me a new crag had been bolted/ cleaned within walking distance of Castle inn.
Which Castle inn? Where?
OP Os_878 18 Mar 2014
In reply to armus:

Near Conwy, A55 sport (LL29)
OP Os_878 18 Mar 2014
In reply to georgeb:

afraid thats the awesome "Llanddulas Cave" area (you can see it from the A55 on your right if you are heading towards Conwy
 Steve Perry 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Is there topo anywhere online for this new crag?
OP Os_878 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

Not that I've found thus far but the new north Wales limestone guide should contain it when released
 Rampikino 01 Apr 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Are there still new route opportunities?
 Steve Perry 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Cheers for that, any idea when that guide is going to finally come out?
OP Os_878 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

haha None, although im following the guidebook on Facebook so im aware.

Regarding new routing...i have no idea not being a local, i will be checking it out hopefully this weekend.

kipper12 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

Matt

If weather sane do you fancy giving it a try on Saturday,
 Rampikino 02 Apr 2014
In reply to kipper12:

I would but I will be in London so apologies. Weekend after or a midweek evening?
 kipper12 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

weekend after sounds good, may get otheres there too, bring your drill just in case
 pauldrew 02 Apr 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Bit more detail about Marian Bach - climbed there 3 or 4 times.

The crag currently has thirteen routes from about 4+ to 6c(+), they are all well bolted and up to 12 – 14 M high. Not huge obviously, some routes have the odd loose bit at the start but decent climbing above; mostly the routes are in the 6a – 6b range with two 6c’s and three or four about 4+ - 5+, all the routes have stainless steel double lower offs apart from one which needs to be re-threaded and all are well bolted. The grades listed are based upon five or six visits to the crag by various Chester Mountaineering Club members and might be soft.

Crag is located at 288E 377N and the best approaches are;
1. Park as for Castle Inn and walk back down the road about 100M to a gate on the left leading down to what appears to be a ruined farm, go through the gate and down through the farm yard. Go through a second gate
(currently in poor condition!) to a grassy track, follow the track for a short distance and look for a footpath and small swing gate on the right. Follow this path through a small wood to a style, immediately before the style take a vague path on the right up to the crag, to arrive at the main bit at the bottom of route 4 below.
2. Park as for Castle Inn and walk back down the road past the gate to the farm and take the second road on the left past some houses and into a small industrial/commercial site. Walk between the two buildings at the end
and cross over a style on the left behind them. Follow a vague path to the right and keeping the hedgerow on your right side follow the path into the small wood, go over the style then take the vague path on the left up to
the crag, again arriving at route 4.
3. It is also possible to use the above approach (2) to arrive at the top of the crag; after going over the first style behind the buildings continue across the field up the small hill and look for a path down to bottom of the crag currently bit muddy due to sheep. Once over this you are at the extreme left of the crag and a path soon leads to the first route.

The routes are described from L to R and the names are currently unknown (except one). First ascents and development was done by Norman Clacher and Tony Shelmerdine. Crag can be vegetated but currently clean but needs traffic to keep this way. The rock at the start of a few of the routes should be treated carefully.

The routes;
The first route is well left of the main outcrop and is the last (first) clean area of rock encountered when facing the crag.
1. (4+/5) The first line of bolts on the left side of the crag is a short route with a detached looking pillar on its right. Probably the worst of the routes here.

About 20M right is a big roof close to the ground.
2. (Splat 6c/+) Technical low roof, the grade and name is Norman’s; as he was badly injured on this. The loose blocks have now gone but the start still does not look very appealing!
Right again about 15 – 20M is the main crag (approach path arrives here).
3. (5) On the main face of the crag, the right facing corner is very pleasant although brief and makes a good warm up.
4. (6C) The centre of the face through the big roof at top of crag involves contorting low down and technical/reachy climbing through roof.
5. (6b-) the next route immediately right shares a couple of bolts with the previous route, steep and slightly technical groove pumpy if you get it wrong.
6. (6a+/6b) The right arête looks intimidating but is easier than it appears, start directly below arête up left then right through steep bit. Shares a lower off and final bolt with next route, very photogenic.
The crag now turns 90deg with three routes on its sidewall.
7. (6a) The sidewall of the main crag has three routes; the left line on this side of this wall is not particularly good and shares a start with the next route.
8. (6b) Centre of wall very good avoiding right crack, quite technical on the right and probably 6c on the left. Have faith in holds appearing at the top! Excellent climbing and again very photogenic.
9. (5+) Right side of wall using cracks either side, enjoyable if you like limestone jamming!
A vegetated area of wall, with possible potential for the enthusiastic intervenes before the next three routes.
10. (5+/6a) Steep to start then very pleasant slabby upper wall.
11. (6b) Steep and technical groove in right arête (two bolts at top requires to re-tie).
12. (6a+/6b) Short wall up through overlap (very hard direct). Avoid the vegetated crack on the right and balance through the overlap cross the wall and use the left arête to climb the upper wall.
Past an overgrown buttress and about 30M left is the last route.
13. (5+) Furthest right up to left side of roof step right and climb wall direct. It looks unlikely at the grade but it’s all there.

There is unclimbed rock but it is all vegetated and will need thorough cleaning to put up new routes - lot of ivy covered buttresses right of the last route.
 FreshSlate 02 Apr 2014
In reply to Os_878:

Will give this a bump. Pretty important last post.
 jim jones 13 Apr 2014
 Rampikino 13 Apr 2014
In reply to jim jones:

Visited yesterday, some nice routes and worth the effort.

It's on the logbook database (Marian Bach) with basic info awaiting more details.
 Spengler 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Os_878:
Paid a visit there yesterday, nice sheltered, shaded and quiet crag. A good alternative to Castle Inn if it's windy/hot/busy. But definitely worth a visit in it's own right.

Routes:

1 - I'd say 5/4+. Not a great climb, and probably not one for people who climb at this grade, as I think they'd find clipping the lower off a little awkward?

8 - 6b * - Once you get past the dirty ledges of the first 2 bolts it opens up into a beautiful technical face climb. Would be two stars if not for the start I think. May still be? Did left of bolts first, and then right of bolts. Left I think the crux move is harder, but perhaps slightly easier getting to that point?

9 - 5+ - Probably deserves a star too. Quite an nice little jam up the two large cracks. Interesting rock formations. Initially thought this was route 6. But there are quite a few climbs on the main face close together.

11 - 6b-/6a+ * - Great little route, with a slight overhanging crux. Good footwork will see you through. Holds are reasonable which I think makes it not quite a full 6b?

12 = 6a+ - Climbed direct, and then using the arete. Not sure of the intended line. Using the arete probably gives a better route, and is an easier climb.

Just my opinions based on onsight climbs, so may have missed holds that make the climbs easier. Felt like I was taking the intended lines, but can't be 100% sure.
Post edited at 10:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...