UKC

Portland- Road Rage area post winter update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Alcock 16 Mar 2014
The good news is that the ultra-classic Road Rage and surrounding routes at Cheyne Cliff are still there. The bad news is that the slope on its right at the bottom has collapsed and the boulders at its base have moved.
I have installed a new fixed rope at the bottom which gives easy access to the first bolt, but I forgot my knife. Please can the next person to abseil in cut off the old useless fixed rope and put some padding (duct tape? inner tube?)around the point where the new rope rubs over the bulge below.
You can also access the climb to Road Rage's right via the new fixed rope, but I fear the new routes further right are now inaccessible safely.
 Jonathan Emett 17 Mar 2014
In reply to John Alcock:

I did some inadvisable mud-scrambling up to the un-bolted section on the right of the 'new' climbs and I didn't die. YMMV. It all seemed remarkably solid (but didn't look it!)

Thanks for putting in a new rope on road rage.
OP John Alcock 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Jonathan Emett:

I do wonder whether another bolt and "vigorous" cleaning of the rock on the first 15 feet could make the fixed rope redundant?
 Rob Kennard 17 Mar 2014
In reply to John Alcock:

Done!
 Mick Ward 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Rob Kennard:

Flamin' heck, that were quick! Them Bere Regis boys... they're in like Flynn and back out faster than Jimmy Clitheroe legging it to the kazi after a Bradford Vindaloo.

Mick
 Jonathan Emett 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

blimey....!
 Rob Kennard 18 Mar 2014
In reply to John Alcock:

That might be an idea John- I'm back next Monday so will check it out.
Other routes in the vicinity that have been affected are No Turn Unstoned(the access rope if 15ft up a tottering slope) and the Italian Eighth area( a landslide at the base has removed the access rope and left the first bolts rather high).
 Mark Lloyd 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Mick Ward:

He had to do something to forget about the football on sunday
 Rob Kennard 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Mark Lloyd:

Lol!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...