UKC

South Lakes fell running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 16 Mar 2014
Can anyone recommend any good websites or books that are good for fell running routes in the South Lakes?

Ideally local to Grasmere and also Windermere but can be a little further afield.

Cheers,

Ad
 Phil1919 16 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Just pick some good looking footpaths using a 1:25000 and set off. Explore and get to know the routes from running them. Then link them together.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

The clue is in the name, just head up the fells on paths and run !

Try Fairfield Horeshoe from Rydal Hall, a classic and a nice introduction into things, from Gramsere you could go pretty much go North, East or West and find excellent running.
OP AdCo82 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Well I know that done a few from Grasmere recently but never ran up Fairfield.

I was just after people's favs. The route I did up to Easedale and Blea Rigg the other day was mserable to say the least....in a bog basically to be precise
altirando 17 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

I enjoyed a circuit of Langdale a few years ago, starting from Elterwater. It is in an out of publication guide Challenging Walks, Sigma Press, which might be available second hand.
OP AdCo82 17 Mar 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Cheers Iain. That one is on the list, definitely got some fitness training to do before then as part of my knee injury recovery!
 Tom W 17 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

Running up The Band is quite a good way to gain height without really noticing it. Then head left over Crinkle or right over Bowfell...
 Al Evans 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Tom W:

There used to be a classic fell race called Black Combe, I don't know if it is still run but it's a good horseshoe and I seem to remember that was in South Lakes.
Memorable for me was the Dunnerdale Horeshoe, a 22 miler, mainly because I was first back into the village to great cheers, only to get outsprinted to the finish by the course record holder (who I was only in front of because he had somehow taken a wrong line of one of the checkpoints) This was my best ever finish, 2nd, in a Lakes fell race..
 Paul Atkinson 17 Mar 2014

In reply to AdCo82:

I've done a lot off long training runs out of Grasmere. Would help if you gave an idea of size you are after. Jumping on leg 3 of BGR is an obvious one - out to Scafells and back or cut out in the Langdales and make a circular. Easdale Tarn, Sgt Man and then whichever Pikes, descend to NDG and take Old County Tops route back. Up Silver Howe and Along ridge dropping to Easdale or The Bog (nice ). Up great Tongue and either back along west arm of Faifield round or out and back to Helvellyn. Some of the new Lakes 100k route in Borrowdale direction. Round to Ambleside and bits of the UTLD100 if the weathers too bad for the tops. There's just so much.....

P
 Mark Eddy 17 Mar 2014
In reply to AdCo82:

I think Holdsworths in Ambleside have fell running books in stock, worth having a look.

Steel fell round to Helm crag;
Fairfield horseshoe;
Seat sandal & Grisedale tarn;
Easedale tarn & High Raise;
Grasmere to Langdale

Why not try: http://www.amblesideac.org.uk/index.html - they're out a few times a week, daytime and eves.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...