UKC

HVS/E1 recommendations Mendips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 16 Mar 2014
Working Castle Cary way this week and there are a boggling amount of small crags in striking distance that I've not been to. Anything other than FCQ and Cheddar considered! Cheers
 The Pylon King 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Dinder and Mells.

Both recently in process of being cleaned and checked for new guidebook so in good nick. Lots of short but greata litle routes.
OP Cheese Monkey 16 Mar 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Beauty will check them out and clean some while I'm there. Did you get any more routes in at Goblin Coombe? Was me faffing on Gollum
 Choss 16 Mar 2014

You up for a pint tonight? Make it the George if you are?
In reply to Choss:

No mate not tonight I've been up for nearly 36 hours with 2 brief naps... Wednesday would be good though?
 Choss 16 Mar 2014

alright bud, well hook up for Drinks Wednesday
 The Pylon King 16 Mar 2014
Hi!

Yes Me and Brian did two more routes up at Eagle rock, the second in almost complete darkness with the moon rising!

I may be over Dinder this week.
Post edited at 21:59

Haha good effort! I had to go to work . Let me know if you need a belay or a hand this week I'm about in afternoons.
OP Cheese Monkey 17 Mar 2014

Maybe I was tired but everything I did at Mells today felt like a proper sandbag! Proper good rock and routes though. Lobbed off Picturesque repeatedly . Need to get back there, work out the crux in better light and put it to bed
 The Pylon King 17 Mar 2014

Brian (Bpmclimb) has been cleaning and checking it for the new guide so always worth checking his log notes or drop him a line.
OP Cheese Monkey 17 Mar 2014

Yeh his notes on Picturesque say potentially E2. I think a hard crux above micro wires is definitely worth E2!

Whole of Mells is clean, tidy, easy accessible and in great nick. Nipped a few tiny bits of vegetation here and there but well worth a visit.
 The Pylon King 17 Mar 2014

Yeah Brian cleaned it all up last year.
 hms 17 Mar 2014

The crux of that one has a slightly weird feeling & hard to trust foot placement, I seem to remember, although it was protected v well by a small cam (which I fell onto first time round). I found the psychological crux was then getting to the top as the climbing was pretty easy but the gear for the top 3rd was zero!

The middle E4 (Mells Wall) is perfectly do-able once you've got the sequence sussed.

On the next path-side bit of crag there is a fun but scary E2 - boulder problem off the floor then tricky headwall. Again, perfectly do-able with a bit of re-practise (and possibly a bouldering mat)

The Ivanator 18 Mar 2014

This looks interesting:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=224656 (Black Rock Corner)
Scoped it out on a walk a while back, not been back to climb it yet though.
In reply to The Ivanator:
There has been a lot of rock stabilisation and removal at Black Rock Quarry. All the routes have been climbed since the work was finished.
Ian Butterworth
BMC Access Rep for Somerset & Mendips
 The Ivanator 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian Butterworth:

Good work and good to know - much of it had a fairly worrying look when I was last there. I will have to bite the bullet and give that corner a shot this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...