UKC

best sleeping mat without spending £££

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexjz 17 Mar 2014
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations on sleeping mats. I don't want to pay a fortune, looking at spending less than £30.

My priority is warmth (as opposed to comfort, I usually rough it), though I don't expect to do any winter camping. I just want something to keep me off the ground from March-October while I doss around UK crags (Peak District, North Wales, North Devon, Pembrokeshire...).

Cheers, Alex
 Choss 17 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Just go for a couple of cheapo old school karrimats. Weigh next to nothing, dont puncture, and cheap as.
 Carolyn 17 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

You'd get a second hand thermarest off eBay for that - and probably Prolite ones rather than the original version - I upgraded both ours that way after one of the old original ones started leaking.
 Oo 17 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

http://www.balloonbed.com/

I have had this recommended to me by a mountain marathon type, never used it myself. If the performance claims are correct then it sounds very good value if you aren't using it very regularly.

I take a Thermarest if it's very cold or I don't have to carry it much, or a small section of a foam roll mat for fast and light.
 martinph78 17 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Multimat expedition if you find one on sale. Warmest mat I've ever owned and thick enough to be quite comfortable. Tough, puncture proof, light for it's warmth. Perfect bivy mat I reckon.

TobyA 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Just go for a couple of cheapo old school karrimats.

The better quality ones aren't too cheap actually these days.

If the OP doesn't want a self inflating mat or a blow up mat (the cheaper ones can be a bit hit and miss) http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2014/01/physics-you-can-sleep-on-desig... I'd go for a Z Rest or Ridge Rest. Both are more comfy and warmer than standard foam mats.
 mattrm 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Oo:

They're a pain to use. But surprisingly comfy. I've had several good nights kip on them.
 stewc 17 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Hi Alex,

I have a thermarest prolite 4 size large that I am looking to sell. Its in excellent condition, very warm and comfy. I am would be looking for £25 for plus a couple for postage. The only reason for selling it is that i got a new one that packs down smaller but yeah its a very good mat.

Cheers,

Stewart
 Andes 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

A second voter for the Multimat... nice and warm, doesn't puncture, you're less likely to slide off it if you have to camp on a slope, and you can sit outside your tent on it too. Or Thermarest Z-lite, all of the above but a better seat, and when you get stormbound you can work out that there are exactly 1786 dimples.
In reply to Choss:

> Just go for a couple of cheapo old school karrimats. Weigh next to nothing, dont puncture, and cheap as.

I do this but also use a space blanket.
 jezb1 18 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Personally I'd avoid alpkit, had to return a few of their mats.

I use a Mountain Equipment mat from Cotswold. Good price, thick enough and light enough.
OP alexjz 18 Mar 2014
In reply to alexjz:

Thanks for the replies. I'm gona go with the ultra cheap option and get a karrimat!

Cheers, Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...