UKC

Printer for good A4 prints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Breck 17 Mar 2014
Looking for a good (Canon?) printer that will give me good prints from a good camera. I don't really want to go to the expense of anything like say the Canon PIXMA PRO-100. Plenty of reviews & advice out there but personal experience counts for a lot. I.e. I don't always believe 100% of what I read.

Note that any prints aren't for exhibition or for sale. What I'm looking at is something that I can frame...put on a wall...and say that looks good.
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

TBH - for low volume, probably much more cost effective getting them done through a lab

OP Alan Breck 17 Mar 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Probably but I don't want a lab. I want to take the pics, process them to my liking & then print them to my liking. While cost is an issue it isn't the first consideration......despite what I say about Canon PRO printers.
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

> I want to take the pics, process them to my liking & then print them to my liking.

I'm with you on that

ChrisJD 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

Have you looked at second hand on Ebay?
In reply to ChrisJD:

Looked all over but I'm really looking for someone who has experience of "home" printing. I'll make a decision and look at the buying options when I've weighed up the pros & cons. With my mindset that could take a while!
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

I do all my own printing on a Espon 7800.

Not really up to speed on the newer models, sorry.
In reply to ChrisJD:

No problem. Thanks anyway.
 Sam W 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

I use a Canon MG6150, no longer available but I would guess the current MG6350 is very similar. Print quality is good to very good as long as you use decent ink, but running costs are horrendous. As someone has already said, getting prints from a lab is way cheaper. However doing them at home is more convenient and allows for fine adjustments, exactly as you want. I'm now using refill ink from Octoinkjet, which keeps the price somewhere near sensible, and the colours seem very similar to genuine Canon cartridges.
 ChrisJD 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

> Note that any prints aren't for exhibition or for sale. What I'm looking at is something that I can frame...put on a wall...and say that looks good.

Thinking about this a bit more, is A4 really going to fulfill your picture hanging lust?

If you are going to invest, got to be an A3+ printer at a minimum. A4 is just too small
 dek 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

Your probably cheaper finding an Asda store with the big Epson printers instore. Go at a fairly quiet time, and you can often get the operator to tweak and reprint your efforts to satisfaction?
OP Alan Breck 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

Looking for a printer that doesn't eat expensive ink might be easier than finding the holy grail.....neither probably exist. Thanks though for the info.

A3....nope....the only A3 stuff in our house are paintings & that's the way it's going to stay.

Yes I know that it might be cheaper going to Asda or wherever but that's not the road I'm going down.
OP Alan Breck 18 Mar 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Got any first hand experience of that then?
 ChrisJD 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

Only of a good few other Epsons.

Like the "straight-forward, no-nonsense" write up.
 Stone_donkey 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

I use an old (but I think good) Canon iP3000. It was one of the last Canon models without chipped cartridges and like an earlier poster I refill inks using octoInk which cuts the costs significantly. Second hand/refurbished ones come up on eBay quite often and you can still get the print heads for them if you need them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...