UKC

Skye advice, winter conditions - Bruach na Frithe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 17 Mar 2014
Heading up to Skye this weekend to catch up with an old buddy who lives up there and he suggested we head out on Saturday to walk up Bruach na Frithe. When I offered the lend of some winter kit he thought it wouldn't be necessary so I assumed it was just a wee hill but now looking at it's height, Mike's post the other day and the fact it's getting cold towards the weekend I'm wondering if he's wrong. I don't know the Cullins at all and he does live there, perhaps I'm over cautious and it'll just be a well trodden soggy mush?

If anyone has any advice on either on where the snow line is at, what the hill is like or any other suggestions it'd be appreciated. Out of the three of us I'll be the only winter climber so I was kind of just wanting a relatively straight forward hill to scalp, the pub is the main objective!
 BnB 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

By the easiest line, BnF isn't even grade I (and it's an easy grade II by the!sporting route) so I wouldn't think you'll encounter major difficulties. I've dragged (well-equipped) under 10s up there in full winter. But I would pack walking crampons and a single axe. Why wouldn't you? You'll be able to tell from the Slig car park whether any of that gear is going to be required. Just look up at the coire headwall!!
 Nathan Adam 17 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB: Assuming you can see that far...

Axe and crampons for me just now. Can be left in the corrie if not required up the hill.
 BnB 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Nath93:

> Assuming you can see that far...

If you can't see the coire, see if you can see the pub behind you!!
OP Sharp 18 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB:
Cheers for the responses. One of the reasons I'm asking is I'll need to add 20 mins onto an already longish journey after work to pick some things up, which I think I'll probably do now, although if it was just me I'd maybe end up going with just boots and an axe.

Will see what the weather is like and I'll leave it to them, if it's a nice day it'll be a good half day out, if it's shitty weather maybe something smaller. Even if my friend was interested in winter stuff I think the best place to learn is somewhere snowy, showing someone how to put crampons on in a white out half way up an icy scree slope in the middle of a hoolie in a place you don't know isn't my idea of a good catch up walk.
Post edited at 07:20
 BnB 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:
If the weather is unreliable, climb the Storr or visit the Quiraing. Great poor weather outings and usually much drier!!
 Nathan Adam 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp: A +1 to above, a section of the Trotternish Ridge is a great day out.
OP Sharp 19 Mar 2014
Cheers guys, good to have some other options.
Tim Chappell 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Sharp:

Another good low-level option: cycle round Trotternish. Or whichever other wing of Skye takes your fancy.

Or take a bike over to Raasay--wonderful place. Terrible roads, though, so take a suitably rough bike.

Mike Lates 22 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB:

Fionn Choire today was a very serious proposition and and Ben's interpretation of cold weather on old snow was spot on. You couldn't have told how serious it was till you hit it. If temps are cold take crampons in the Cuillin even if you can't see any snow; black ice steaks have seriously stressed me before in mid-May.
OP Sharp 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Cheers Mike, ended up having a nice day around the quiraing and trotternish ridge which was bathed in sunshine all day, the cuillins looked grim and due to heavy snow and a few accidents on the way up we didn't get here till 3.45am so Ann easier day was welcome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...