UKC

Help! New back wheel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stewieatb 17 Mar 2014
Hey

Last week I managed to bend the back wheel on my town runabout. Unfortunately as it's a 20+ year old bike, finding a new one is proving a bit tricky. I need:

700c narrow rim (to take 22mm tyre)
Shimano 7-speed freehub body
126mm O.L.D. (Over Locknut Dimension - distance between the rear dropouts).

The last one is the trickiest part, as the standard became 130mm not long after this bike was built.

If anyone has any clues, knows of any vintage bike-bits websites that aren't too pricy, or has one hanging in their garage, please let me know. I've just spent £40 on what I thought was right, but it turned out to be a hybrid wheel with a wide rim and 135mm O.L.D. so it's going back in the morning.

Stewie
 steev 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

Any bike recycling schemes near you? The Bike Station in Edinburgh is a treasure trove for this kind of thing, suspect similar outfits would be too.
 sleavesley 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

Not for wheel but hubs http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/hubs/new-old-stock-hubs/

Could get a nice robust wheel handmade!
 Andrew W 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

I think a shimano tiagra hub on mavic open sport should work if you remove the spacer on the NDS of the hub and then redish the wheel, you may also need to cut the axle as well. You also need a spacer to get the cassette to fit.
OP stewieatb 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

This hunt is looking increasingly impossible, so I'm looking at getting a 130mm wheel (Shimano R500s maybe) and a freehub spacer.

If I had more money, I'd look into the custom build option, but alas, I am a poor student.

Thanks guys
Stewie
 Luke90 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

What material is the frame made from? I'm no expert but I believe a steel frame could likely be bent fairly safely to achieve an extra 4mm between the rear dropouts.
 Kevin Forde 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

At that age, is the frame steel? If so, and if it is more runabout than treasured vintage, it is apparently possible to carefully spread the spacing (cold set) so it will take 130 mm OLD. Had considered doing it to my own 1979 Nishiki Landau.

Take a look at
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html#spacing

If the frame is made of anything else, don't even consider doing this!!
OP stewieatb 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Kevin Forde:

Yeah, it's a steel frame. As it's only 4mm difference I will probably try to spring it open, rather than cold-setting the frame.

Thanks for your help guys, ordered some R501s and a spacer for the freehub.
Removed User 17 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

You'll have no issue at all with 4mm difference. I have done the very same with an old steed having originally a old school campag 6 spd setup wheel to a modern 8 spd Shimano. No requirement for a cold set.
 mr rob 18 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk

Always has a large stock off old parts, good shop
 mr rob 18 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

Look for suntour-gpx-7-speed-126-mm-oln-model
 Oujmik 18 Mar 2014
In reply to stewieatb:

I've also fitted a 130mm wheel on a 126mm spaced steel frame with no issues. Steel is easily springy enough to allow 2mm each side.
 sleavesley 18 Mar 2014
In reply to mr rob:

I didnt think suntour gpx supported a shimano cassette?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...