UKC

any Yeti 4x4 owners out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Run_Ross_Run 17 Mar 2014
Just wanted a bit of info from Yeti owners.

It'll be the 2ltr diesel SE 140 4x4 I think.

Things to consider when buying. Any minor/major issues, what engine choice you prefer, spec levels, reliability.
Whats the handling like when it gets a bit twisty.

Just usual stuff really.

Thanks
Darren
 Marcus Tierney 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Have seriously considered one but can't give any advice from personal experience. I drive a Diesel VRS and love it. Have you considered the Yeti Adventurer they come with extra kit over the SE at a similar price and have dead neat seats ? They do a 4X4 140bhp I think.
 Alan Breck 17 Mar 2014

Best plan is to have a look at: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/151-skoda-yeti/

I drive a petrol model so can't really help you on the diesel front. The elegance don't ya know! Personally I love it. Goes well. Handles well. Consumption not great but if I pootled along it might be better. The heated seats in the winter....JOY !!
 sargy 17 Mar 2014

Don't have one, but seriously considered one when we had a baby last year. Although it scores well on practicality because the rear seats are flexible, the outright boot space is actually quite small compared to an Octavia.

They are supposed to handle brilliantly- you can get a 170bhp TDi that is in the VRS - I imagine this is lots of fun with 4x4 and a good chassis. I ended up with a very late model Octavia Scout. Same 4x4 and 140bhp engine, but in a more traditional estate format. The foot is massive, so perfect for us- I still hanker after a Yeti though.

I'm not sure if it comes in the Yeti, but the 1.8 tsi petrol is supposed to be an absolute peach and pretty economical. Good luck with whatever you choose!
OP Run_Ross_Run 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Alan Breck:

Yeah, saw the briskoda blogs, useful.

Went out in an Elegance at the weekend. Can't be doing with the leather seats though, other than that it would be the spec i'd go for plus it available with the 170 engine

cheers.
 dan_the_dingo 17 Mar 2014

I don't own one, and have limited knowledge of them but the one thing that I wasn't keen on when I did look at them (my dad was looking at purchasing one) was that they only came with a tube of gunk for repairing punctures. Now I know this is the way many manufacturers are going but I much prefer having an actual wheel to replace the punctured/damaged tyre with, just in case. I understand you can get an emergency spare for the Yeti but apparently it eats into the limited boot space.
 Martin W 17 Mar 2014

> Went out in an Elegance at the weekend. Can't be doing with the leather seats though, other than that it would be the spec i'd go for plus it available with the 170 engine

Out of interest, what don't you like about the leather seats? I was doubtful about them when I first got my Elegance 140 4x4 but they're actually easier to keep clean than the fabric seats in my previous car - you just wipe them down if you get mud or other gunge on them. They're not full grain leather, just a leather facing on some kind of synthetic backing. I don't find them sweaty if that's what you were thinking.

dan_the_dingo is right about the spare, or lack thereof as standard, although he's also right that the Yeti is by no means alone in this. The spare is available as a factory-fit option on all but the Greenline models, and can be retro-fitted to that one if required - you can buy the complete spare "kit" including the raised boot floor from any Skoda dealer. It's not a skinny spare like you get with some small (and even not so small) hatchbacks, it's a 195/60 R16 89H tyre on a 6Jx16 ET50 wheel. However, that means it's smaller than the standard wheels & tyres, hence the speed restriction.

It's true that the raised boot floor does eat in to the load space. There is still storage space around the spare under the boot floor, and the kit includes polystyrene boxes which fill the extra space and give you somewhere to store/carry smaller items such as an emergency warning triangle, fire extinguisher etc etc. Personally, I like the fact that the raised boot floor is flush with the bumper since it eliminates any need to lift heavy bags over the boot lip when loading or unloading.

The Yeti will never have the ultimate load-carrying capacity of the Octavia but then it is actually a physically smaller car, apart from the height. Hence some Yeti owners' claim that the secret to loading the Yeti is to "think vertical" - although that advice is only useful up to a point IMO, mainly the point where you can no longer see out of the rear window!

In terms of handling, it'll never match my old Impreza but it's predictable and safe, with very little body roll for a tallish car, and it's certainly possible to "make progress" if the need/desire arises. The Dunlop SP01s which mine came fitted with I find a bit vague occasionally - I'm looking forward to when they wear out and I can put some decent summer rubber on it. Some people complain that the ride can be a bit harsh but I find it perfectly OK even on Edinburgh's cobbles.

I like my Yeti and I'm not looking to replace it any time soon.
OP Run_Ross_Run 17 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Re-Leather seats.

Had them before and they were a n/mare. Scratched really easy, too hot/cold. Admittedly they're prob much better now but...

Didn't find them that comfortable tbh so will prob upgrade to the sports seats.

Glad you rate the yeti.
In reply to sargy:

> the outright boot space is actually quite small compared to an Octavia.

I seriously considered one when my old faithful Octy Estate was due for replacement about 18 months ago. I dont need 4wd, or do a big mileage so my choice would have been the 1.4tsi

Whilst the ride and handling were pretty good, the front seats were not as adjustable of comfy as the Octavia, rear legroom and access was disappointing, and boot capacity was small unless you folded the rear seats down. In the end I got a super deal on a spanking new Octavia Estate (1,4tsi Elegance) for about £1500 less than I would have paid for the Yeti - and even though I could have paid cash took advantage of a 2 year interest free finance package that was being offered on certain models in the Octavia range at the time.

With the latest Yeti model update I believe Skoda have addressed the adjustability of front seating and lengthened the wheelbase to ease rear legroom and access issues - and had I been changing cars this year I might have been swayed more in the Yeti's direction.

However, I intend to hang on to my current Octy for at least 12 years - by which time I'll be approaching 80 and probably be reviewing whether I need or can afford to run a car on a dwindling pension ( or am fit and compus mentus enough to be safely let out on the road)

In the meantime I'll continue to luuurve my Octy ( though not in the biblical sense I hasten to add)

Martin W 18 Mar 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> With the latest Yeti model update I believe Skoda have addressed the adjustability of front seating and lengthened the wheelbase to ease rear legroom and access issues

Nope, it's basically the same inside as the original version, the 2014 model is just a 'facelift'. It's certainly the same floorpan and therefore wheelbase as the pre-facelift model. The only front seating adjustability change that I am aware of is that you can now order a front passenger seat where the back folds flat (forwards) but that was available on some later pre-facelift models as well.

The rear legroom in the Yeti is miles better than my Impreza was. I never have to shift my driver's seat forward to let adults sit in the back these days.

As I said before, the Yeti will never be the space monster that the Octavia is: it's nearly 8" shorter for a start, which limits the horizontal internal real estate significantly compared to the Octy.

There are strong rumours that Skoda will bring out a larger SUV later this year or sometime next year, possibly to be called the Bigfoot or the Snowman. Seriously. There are also persistent rumours about a LWB version of the Yeti itself but the most reliable sources indicate that, if it does eventually appear, it will likely be predominantly aimed for the Chinese market and might not make it to Europe - especially if the Bigfoot/Snowman/whatever comes out here.
OP Run_Ross_Run 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Yeah. I thought it was just a facelift. Rear space was good. I'm 6ft and room behind my seat was ample. Couldn't work out how the rear seats slide forward and back though :/
Removed User 21 Mar 2014

I've got a Yeti - to adjust the rear seats you lift the bar underneath and slide them, just like you do the front seats.

Very happy with a Greenline Elegance diesel - wanted something smaller than previous Passat Estate (which has turned into a monster long thing) but can still get my skis & other kit in.
Went for Elegance because I wanted cruise control for long journeys (to not aggravate a back problem)and can't deny that heated seats are a real bonus.
Getting about 50mpg on every journey.
 imkevinmc 21 Mar 2014

Check out Motorpoint for very low mileage Yeti Adventures. Fantastic value for a great car. Picked mine up 2 weeks ago and am loving it.
 Bloodfire 21 Mar 2014

I did consider getting the Yeti but ended up with a Octy estate. The Laurin and Klement edition which has all the bells and whisles you could ask for. Not as cool looking as the VRS though. As has been mentioned, its actually a more practical car with leg room and boot space but not as good looking. I certainly would consider one for the higher driving position.
 Daysleeper 22 Mar 2014

Use them at work, really remarkable off-road capabilities. Pleasant cruising on the M-way and A roads , little soft in the bends for my tastes.

Compared to the Octavia hatch the boot is a bit small / shallow
OP Run_Ross_Run 28 Mar 2014
In reply to Daysleeper:

Cheers.

What engine are the work ones you use.
 Daysleeper 28 Mar 2014
2.0 ltr Diesel. not sure what HP. SE ish spec.

Very quiet on Continental M+S winter tyres, bit noisier on Michelin standards. 6 speed auto gearbox is really well done and helps in muddy fields as it works with the electronics. Cruise control is good.

The mpg is not as good as my 2 ltr Octavia. but still running about 40 mpg. (I get better than that but they're pool cars so that's averaged across all of us)
Post edited at 20:49
OP Run_Ross_Run 04 Apr 2014
In reply to Daysleeper:

Yeah winter tyres. That was gonna be my next thought.

Ill check out the continentals
 Martin W 11 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed UserRockarch:

> I've got a Yeti - to adjust the rear seats you lift the bar underneath and slide them, just like you do the front seats.

I've found that you really need to be sat in the seat to do this (as you would usually be when adjusting the front seats) - the runners are just a wee bit too stiff for me to slide the rear seats by hand. They might ease with repeated use, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...