UKC

Rock Climbing South India?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SUColdo 18 Mar 2014
Anyone know of any decent climbing taking place in south India?

This looks tempting but I don't know if its been climbed. Rangaswamy Peak and Pillar.

Anyway it seems difficult to get any info on any climbing in south India. So help would be appreciated.

AlanLittle 18 Mar 2014
In reply to SUColdo:

I've travelled fairly extensively in south India, but have only bouldered at Hampi. The other major climbing areas I'm aware of are:

Badami. Quite near Hampi but sandstone. Some sport, some trad, supposed to be very good.

Ramanagar. Granite domes and other formations, some quite impressive looking, visible from the main road between Bangalore and Mysore. When I was in the area, around 15 years ago, they had a reputation for extremely runout/minimalistic bolting, and I suspect given the climate rock quality wouldn't be up to Tuolumne standards, but if you like scary granite slabs the area would be worth exploring.

Western Ghats between Mumbai and Pune. Further north. Some big impressive-looking formations e.g the Duke's Nose (fa on aid Doug Scott a long time ago). I googled a bit prior to a business trip, but then as it turned out only had time for the hotel gym Only of interest for locals, I suspect.

... so there's at least some names to start googling for
OP SUColdo 18 Mar 2014
In reply to AlanLittle:

Thanks, those places look cool.

Anyone know much about climbing in Tamil Nadu?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...