UKC

Rock Fall Fairy Cave Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 18 Mar 2014
No shock that rock has fallen in FCQ after the wet winter. I'm sure there are quite a few examples of this and when climbing there on Saturday I did no more than look around from the belays at areas I was familiar with.
The significant one I noticed was a big boulder below the Alpine Ridge in the East End (on the path) - sort of small car sized. I've not seen this before (possibly inattentive) and it is not in the topo photos in the recent guide.
Not sure if it has had any effect on the Alpine Ridge descent, as I guess this is where it has originated from. There were teams on the RH routes on the East face below the ridge, so those are clearly still viable - possibly the block comes from above the Odder Boots area.
 The Pylon King 18 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:
I was there last week and didn't notice anything different in that area other than some smaller rocks which appeared to have fallen from the loose ground below the alpine ridge. There are several other smaller rock scars particularly on the Lumbar Puncture/Epicdural slab (no surprise), Dolly Dimple (again no surprise) and in the vicinity of Tinkerbell. As far as I could see non of the starred routes showed signs of significant damage other than Epicdural which probably needs cleaning on abseil before leading. However this is based purely on a visual check.
cheers
Ian
OP The Ivanator 18 Mar 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Strange how the topo of that wall in the guide misses it out. I tried to stand at the angle the topo appeared to be taken from and the boulder would be hard to keep out of shot. Perhaps PhotoShopped out to make the start of routes clearer in the guide?
I did think the ridge above looked fundamentally the same shape, so was mystified about where a huge block had come from.

That's because i took the topo pic standing on top of the boulder!
OP The Ivanator 18 Mar 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:
You must have some fancy wide angle lens kit there! I assumed the shot was taken from further away.
Guess my memory of the area from previous visits is just a bit dodgy then!
Post edited at 12:31

Yeah super wide angle, bought just for topo pics!!
 bpmclimb 18 Mar 2014
You must have had a "man look" for the boulder
Post edited at 16:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...