UKC

how to stop phishing texts ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 18 Mar 2014
in the past 3 days i have had 9 texts for "craig" saying he can be free from debt etc etc, at the end it says to stop text STP TO 66644 . Is it illegal for this number to charge me for these to stop, i suspect that this will be a premium rate number . i ve googled the number but not got anything conclusive. any ideas ?
 mattrm 18 Mar 2014
OP mike123 18 Mar 2014
In reply to mattrm:

thanks for that link , just spoke to vodaphone they put me through to the answerphone of the company sending the texts and i left a message saying stop it. if they dont i ll get back to vodaphone. reading the info on that link is a bit of a worry.
 Os_878 19 Mar 2014
In reply to mike123:

What model phone do you have as Nokia phones have an app to stop them automaticly & i believe other phone manufactures have apps available for the same function.
Ferret 19 Mar 2014
In reply to mike123:

There is a text number you can get from vodafone to forward anything you consider spam to them. I guess if they get significant numbers, from lots of people all saying this is spam they then take action.

My policy on text and email is never to respond in any way. Block it or report it as spam but otherwise do nothing. Replying and or calling the company concerned may do nothing other than turn your number from one that was randomly generated and may not exist/be in use into a more valuable commodity of being one that is genuine, that is then sold on all over the place.

For what its worth, I seem to go through periods of receiving spam, sometimes the same, sometimes using different angles (loan, PPI reclaim, write off debts, been in accident etc) for a few days, I report them all, and after a few days it goes away, for days, weeks or months, then it flares up again. A scurge and curse of modern life.

Only exception to above is if you actually know the sender is a legitimate firm from my own experienec... if so I call them and give them hell as I never allow my email/phone numbers to be used so the spurious 'you are recieving this because you opted to recive' stuff drives me nuts. If I don't know the sender I do not call as no way am I proving I exist to a spemmer.
 The Potato 19 Mar 2014
In reply to mike123:

if youve got a smartphone you can use Blacklist (or pay a little more and get the Pro version like I did).
Very handy for blocking nuisance calls and texts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...