UKC

Where to climb if I'm not from the U.K. ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnnyclimbs 19 Mar 2014
Hello, my name is John Mroch. I'll be studying abroad in Hatfield, England (I'm from the states) - at the University of Hertfordshire - from early September to late December 2014, and I really want to do some climbing while I'm studying abroad. Problem is, I have no climbing connections in England, and was wondering if anyone had advice to offer me on where to climb?

I'm also interested in arranging a meet-up with anyone who would be interested in doing some climbing with me. As far as experience goes: I'm average at best to be honest. I have sport lead climbed routes graded from 5.10a up to 5.11a (so 5a to 5c/6a i think?) - single pitch - but will soon be learning the proper techniques for multi-pitch climbing. I also plan on getting some trad-climbing experience this summer before I head over.

I understand it's uneasy to climb with someone as inexperienced as myself, but if anyone is near my experience level and would like to contact me about arranging something when I'm in England, let me know and I'll buy the first round!

Cheers,

John Mroch
 The New NickB 19 Mar 2014
In reply to johnnyclimbs:

Hi John

Hatfield is in one of the flattest bits of the country, but luckily distances in the UK probably are not that great compared to what you are used to and lots of great climbing destinations are easily accessible for weekend trips and in the case of the Peak District, day trips.

The University will have a climbing club, I think there is an indoor wall in Hatfield and there are certainly lots in London, good place to meet lots of other climbers. Might be worth contacting a few clubs, such as North London Mountaineering Club, google will find others.

Look at the lifts and partners section on here, despite what reading some of the forums might suggest, most folks on here are friendly. Lastly, you will have no problem with your standard.

Nick
 Alun 19 Mar 2014

Hi John,

The usual advice in this situation is to fill out your profile a little bit, perhaps with a photo, so people can see you're a real person, and then post in the Lifts and Partners forum nearer the time.

Another thing you could do is see if the University of Hertfordshire has some sort of climbing or mountaineering club.

Finally, the British climbing social scene usually revolves heavily around indoor gyms - especially in places which don't have that much rock nearby (such as Hatfield!). So once you arrive you could head down the gym and try to make friends there (most walls have some sort of a club or at least a message board for climbers to meet).
 AlanLittle 19 Mar 2014

One of the unique aspects of British climbing that you really have to experience is sea cliffs. Pembrokeshire in South Wales, or South West England, have unlimited amounts of fantastic stuff to go at.

However, the commitment level does tend to be quite high. If you have little or no multipitch trad experience, then you probably want to build up to it gradually and/or make sure your partner knows what s/he is doing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...