UKC

Olympic Mountains guidebooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 19 Mar 2014
Travelling to Seattle this summer, I'll try a few summits in the Olympic range (west of Seattle), rather than going to Mt Rainier which looks a bit crowded.

The name of the mountains is quite evocative too: Mt Mystery, Mt Deception, Mt Constance... That sounds like going on the Moon.

Anyway, any guidebooks recommended for the area?
Also what are the reference maps for the US (OS equivalent)?

Cheers
OP drolex 19 Mar 2014
In reply to drolex:

Don't force me to google it.
 loose overhang 20 Mar 2014
In reply to drolex:

When, and how long, are you in Seattle? Most of the year the Olys are very wet you know. The summertime N. Pacific high-pressure ridge usually arrives by mid-July and lasts until about mid-September. In that time the Cascades, further east are usually dry, but the Olys can still be cloud covered. I've been in the Olys twice. The most recent was last June and it was a lovely day on Mt Buckhorn - beautiful scenery. I think it's possible to obtain detailed maps for the National Park area. Try a search of the US National Parks for maps.

For a more reliable weather location than the Olys, the Cascades east of Seattle are very good during the summer. The possibilities are almost endless, from easy day-hikes to very hard multi-pitch trad climbs. They are also much easier to get to from Seattle.

I don't want to put you off the Olys, but if you are in Seattle for a short time it might be best to consider other locations too.

Let me know if you need more information.

OP drolex 20 Mar 2014
In reply to loose overhang:

Thanks a lot for the details.

Yep, from what I have seen, the Olys look quite crappy in terms of weather and rock quality. I will probably follow your advice and focus on the Cascades and maybe try only to go for a hike in the Olys once. I am more interested in mountaineering/big hikes (as opposed to rock climbing only). Any recommendation for books and places to go?

I'll be there end of June to mid July.
 loose overhang 24 Mar 2014
In reply to drolex:

Here's a good place to get plenty of Cascades information:
http://www.nwhikers.net/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...