UKC

Best campsites in or near Chamonix !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Cooper 19 Mar 2014
Any advice on best campsites in Chamonix ? Out there in July and would appreciate some first hand advice on where to camp !

Thanks in advance !
 pneame 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

I always liked the Argentiere campsite - http://www.campingchamonix.com/?id_page=1&lang=en
Very civilised -
HOWEVER - a bit slopey and definitely out of the fleshpots. Argentiere has good facilities for everything you would need and not as crowded as Cham. If you have a car, it's perfect.
It's a relative modest walk into the Aiguilles Rouge and the area around the Aiguille d'Argentiere has some nice mountain rock stuff
If you are dead set on the Aiguilles and Mt Blanc, less good.
I always felt that I acclimatized better there, as it is higher....
bradzy_c 20 Mar 2014
In reply to pneame:

Would have to +1 this.

The slopey ness is a bit frustrating but everything else is brilliant.

The couple who runs it are really helpful also.
 ro8x 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

Argentiere is nice but I have stayed here also (http://www.campingdesecureuils.fr/?lang=en)

Pros: It is flat. It's right next to the train station to get to Cham. and the couple who run it are super friendly and there is free wine on a wednesday night!
 John Ww 20 Mar 2014
In reply to bradzy_c:

+1 from me as well.

JW
OP Matt Cooper 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

Did somebody mention free wine ?? this may be where I can get some value for money

Some great suggestions folks. Thanks for all the contributions so far

Matt
 MG 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

If you want peace and quiet and cheapness and flat grass and a stream flowing by and friendly owner and an on-site restaurant bar, go to the one in Vallorcine. Transport is free down the valley.

If you want a bank, noisiness and other climbers, don't.
 Phil1919 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

There are a few months to enjoy before you get to July!
 Mark Haward 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

Camping Mer de Glace is great. Covered area and a room to meet, charge 'phones, have a brew. Computers for meteo / OHM forecast and conditions updates. Pizza van visits. Walking distance to Flegere lift, restaurants, small shops, station. 20 min walk to Cham town centre along river. Lots of climbers. Immaculate facilities. Pitches / prices from basic in trees to hedged areas with power.
Disadvantages: Can be busy, mid price for Cham. and close to helicopter rescue centre.
wildirishman 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

Les Arolles in Chamonix Sud.

Walking distance into town.

Full of climbers.
 Happy Haggis 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300: Mer de Glace - fantastic campsite, but a bit outside Cham.

McGuinness 25 Mar 2014
In reply to Matt300:

Barrats campsite opposite the hospital is small but really nice, 5 mins walk to Cham Sud
 butteredfrog 25 Mar 2014
In reply to wildirishman:

> Les Arolles in Chamonix Sud.

> Walking distance into town.

> Full of climbers.

+1

although can get crowded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...