UKC

Brass micros life & shunt Q

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheese Monkey 19 Mar 2014
After taking a few lobs onto one of my new offset brass micros on Monday it is noticeably deformed! I'm still happy to use it, but wondering if theres any signs to look out for that its ready for the bin in future.

On Tuesday I was shunting for a while and found that after falling onto the shunt it tends to stay locked up on the rope. Which is a problem if you're working a crux and end up dragging the rope + weight up with you rather than the shunt sliding up like it should. Any tricks to avoid this? Thinking of more weight on the rope.
 BenTiffin 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Re the shunt, tie you rucsac with some weight in it to the bottom of the rope bearing in mind rope stretch if you load the rope.
 Choss 20 Mar 2014

Yeah, bit more weight. And if you use a sling Round chest to help keep Shunt higher up than Hanging From Belay Loop it helps as well.
 Sharp 20 Mar 2014

Guess it depends on the size of the micro, I think it would take less than a fall to deform the smaller ones enough to reduce the strength to below the rating. In a good placement they're probably more likely to fail with a wire snapping so any damage to the wire would be more worrying to me than damage to the head. Some of my brass offsets are gouged a bit but the wires are fine so I'll still use them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...