UKC

Bolting in the peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Teappleby 19 Mar 2014
So I have been to various edges around the eastern peak and have thought this a couple of times:
Why dont we put some bolts on really really scary routes (eg. brush off, downhill racer, etc) so that people dont get hurt as much? Also I would like to get on many of those routes, as I have the abiliy but am terrified of the consequences.
 Kid Spatula 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

How original!
 Jon Stewart 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

Not good as troll, but as a genuine naive question, have you considered that people don't often get hurt on those routes, because when they do them they are actually good to do them, which is the point.

Why would doing them with bolts be any more fun than doing them on a top rope anyway?
OP Teappleby 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Well after my friend broke his ankle I'm genuinely concerned. I just dont understand why everyone here is so against bolting. It's just an extra safety measure. If you can climb the then route you're still good....
 FreshSlate 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

> Well after my friend broke his ankle I'm genuinely concerned. I just dont understand why everyone here is so against bolting. It's just an extra safety measure. If you can climb the then route you're still good....

Top roping is safer still, was that not an option for your friend?
 d_b 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

You only need bolts on grit if you are dry tooling.
 Harry Holmes 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

Personally I think manufacturing a few extra holds were things get a bit thin would make routes safer too. I mean its been done in the past. Just look at Cows Udder(something like that anyway) on the Cow at Ilkley!
 Oceanrower 19 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

As you seem to have started climbing at 8 years old, you really should know the answer to questions like this by now
OP Teappleby 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

As anyone who knows me will know, this was not me! My "friends" decided this would be funny because they know I am so against bolting and am really psyched for bold trad. In fairness I'm surprised they couldn't come up with something more original than bolting grit! Sorry to anyone who got offended/wasted there time responding. (also Oceanrower you should also check your maths, the age you were looking for was 3, although I haven't logged many of my early climbs as I can't remember them!)
 Oceanrower 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

My mistake. Age 19, climbing for 11-20 years. I naturally assumed you didn't start 3 months before conception.....
OP Teappleby 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Oceanrower:

it's fine mate, easy mistake to make!
 JRae 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

I'm game, I can probably get hold of a Hilti at work.
 cb_6 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

I think maybe we should install permanent ladders in between routes. You know, just in case.

Anyway, I'm off for aid climbing trip to Oliana.
 mattrm 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Teappleby:

ukcrape? Bit like frape. That'll teach you to leave you computer logged in when your mates are around. Put a password on it and lock the screen when you're not there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...