UKC

scrambling recommendations for kids - lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 20 Mar 2014
Son keen to get a taste of mountaineering - thought we'd do some short roping on some easy scrambles just so he feels like he's doing a bit - in Lakes in a few weeks, anyone got recommendations for routes perhaps please? he climbs HS but just want to make him feel like a "mountaineer" rather than full on graded routes per se.

cheers
 Oujmik 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

Helvellyn via Striding Edge is a classic route but perhaps too much walking for what you're after? Perhaps Halls Fell Ridge on Blencathra would tick the box.
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark. If that's too tame, try Crescent climb (also on Pavey).
Cam crag ridge in Langstrath, feels quite remote and has lots of great scrambling
 Caralynh 20 Mar 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

We've taken my godson on Jack's Rake which was a good day out. He was 9 I think. Same year we did Giant's Crawl on Dow Crag for a nice mountaineery route, which should also suit your needs if your lad climbs HS.
OP Bluebird 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

great suggestions - thanks everyone. much obliged
 The Potato 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

a 3rd vote for Jacks rake
 John Kelly 20 Mar 2014

Jakes is pretty difficult to top on loads of levels

cresent finish up gwynnes - cracking
 Carolyn 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

Cam Crag Ridge is good in that you can pick and choose how hard a route up it you take.
 John Kelly 20 Mar 2014

second thoughts

stickle ghyll - tarn crag (the groove) and on to pavey (jakes)
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Yes, what a cracking day out that is
OP Bluebird 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Bluebird:

thanks everyone - super stoked already for the lad. Have opted for Mill Ghyll for some waterfall action and then Pavey via Jacks - should be enough in there by the sounds of things. Will just be him and I - real adventure for him away from mum and sister. Nice way to supplement the climbing we're planning too!
thanks for recommendations!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...