UKC

continual round of the corbetts - dehydrating food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
At last my plans are coming together and the route is mapped (at least on the mainland). Getting a little nervous about the high winds and sea kayaking this year!
I have managed to borrow a dehydrator and am planning to spend the next couple of weeks dehydrating food. Any recipes/ hints and tips welcome.
Thanks in advance
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=68779
 Gav M 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Lorraine McCall:

You can do any food that you would eat in your house, but you want small pieces so it rehydrates quickly. Minced meat and grated vegetables are best. Rice and pasta both work well. I put the the food in the box, pour in booing water to twice the height of the dry food, then wrap the box in my sleeping bag. I usually have a mug of soup to pass the 20 minutes or that it takes to fully rehydrate.

You'll have to do a lot of dehydrating for what you've got planned!
In reply to Gav M:

thanks Gav. Yes I will need a lot. I have been told that somethings like chicken, potatoes and egg are not so good because they go rubbery. I was also given the advice to get a tub with a tight lid and whatever i want to eat that day start rehydrating it again in the morning. Anything we eat in the next few weeks will be getting added! Have you tried to make beef or venison jerky?
 Gav M 22 Mar 2014

Never done a jerky. I've found chicken mince rehydrates fine, no rubberiness. Potatoes not worth the bother, use smash instead. Never tried to rehydrate egg as I am too young to remember the rationing, but my granny retained a dislike of wartime powdered egg for over 60 years.

Steve Perry 22 Mar 2014

There are some pretty cheap recipe books on Amazon for dehydrated foods which will give you some ideas.
 aln 22 Mar 2014

Wow Lorraine that's quite a challenge you've set yourself. Who'd have thought back in the Braehead Road days any of us would end up doing these kinda things? Most of us turned out to be losers. You've went further than any of us. You're an inspiration. I didn't know about the cancer, so glad to hear you beat it.
P.S. where's the book about your Munro walk?
 Siward 22 Mar 2014

Hi Lorraine not long to go now eh?

There are plenty of jerky recipes on the web but they all say you need to get the temperature fairly hot - 70c or so, to ensure safe results. On the other hand, didn't folk used to make it just by hanging it outside?

Sounds a good idea though, I've found that the drier salamis/saucisson will last a fortnight in a pack even in not weather.
Thanks guys,
yes Steve I will have a look on amazon, just wondering if anyone out there had tried and tested favourite things
We were not losers Alan just late developers.............. lot's of good stuff going on out there now, book???? shall be writing from the start of this one
thanks Si, yes will use the dried sausages but just trying to keep my pack weight light, light light....

d_b 24 Mar 2014
Fruit leathers are easy enough.

Just make your favourite stewed fruit, pour it into a container about an inch deep, dehydrate. You end up with a chewy strip of fruity goodness.

[edit] This is the definitive book on the subject IMHO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating/dp/081172...
Post edited at 10:19
In reply to davidbeynon:
thanks for this, there was so much choice on amazon. I'm going to give it a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...