UKC

Dark Grey Very Abrasive Rock In Spain Near & In Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 20 Mar 2014

During the late 90's or early 2000's I read in High about a kind of rock which as described as above, in a mountainous region which is climbed using gear and runners, rather than bolts.

It's pretty much grit stone in colour and roughness, but is a different kind of rock, being described as having the texture of sandpaper.

Does anybody know of anywhere in Spain which has rock which fits the description above?

Thanks,

Tim
Post edited at 22:01
 jon 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

It's in the Mendips now.
 Mark Eddy 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Could this be La Pedriza?
 Thrudge 20 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Hmm. There's rock like this near Tarifa on the south coast. Bolted, though, and I don't remember any mountains.
In reply to Timmd: Lots of rock in spain...

Could it be the granite in the central mountains, near Madrid? La Pedriza as already mentioned, or possibly the Sierra de Gredos. I've climbed there at Los Galayos, which is fantastic trad mountain routes. Very spectacular high setting
 deepstar 21 Mar 2014
 John Ww 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Montserrat?

JW
 LeeWood 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Could it be the volcanic rock of Pic de Midi d'Ossau which is actually in France (but almost Spain

Dark & definately trad not sure of resemblance to grit.

Pedriza is granite & almost certainly bolted.
Removed User 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

The area you are thinking of is known as San Bartolo.

I'm pretty sure that the rock is Siltstone, it is quite hard although it has the look of sandstone it is made with the finer particles of silt rather than sand. If anyone has seen the rock at San Bartolo you'll know that it has the appearance of mosaics in some areas, this is because it had cracks that filled with a softer material that wore away quicker.

You can use protection on it, but the places that I know of are somewhat limited. Having said that there are lots of places that it pops up across spain.

Anyway, I'm sure that it is the type of rock the OP was asking about.
 Thrudge 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> The area you are thinking of is known as San Bartolo.

That was the place! Thank you.
OP Timmd 24 Mar 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

> Could this be La Pedriza?

The rock in a Wikipedia picture looks similarly flowy and volcanic in nature to what was in the picture in the High article, but bolts don't sound promising, if other posts on here are right.

Thanks for the pointers all, some guide book buying could be in order.

Tim
 LeeWood 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I have before me a Barrabes guidebook for selected routes through-out Spain. Pedriza has 4 multi-pitch routes presented.

Material: Cuerda & exprés.

Makes reference to 'sus sus lisos muros granaticos'.
OP Timmd 24 Mar 2014
In reply to LeeWood:
Thanks, I think this is starting to turn into a bit of an obsession, a quest to find the rock I was reading about.

At least I know it's probably not Pedriza now. Back to my homework until it starts to bug me again. ()
Post edited at 18:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...