UKC

How to combing climbing and hiking in the Lake District?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chrisontour84 21 Mar 2014
Hey Forum! I hope to find some experienced people here who could help me out with the following question:

We will drive to the Lake District for the long Easter Weekend (April 18th-21st) and want to combine both Climbing/Bouldering with circular hikes. Now I was wondering if anyone could suggest some possible combinations between both.

Here are some examples on the hikes: http://where2walk.co.uk/category/lake_district/classic_circuits/

The only thing I got so far is in the North east, combining these two:

http://where2walk.co.uk/lake_district/classic_circuits/blencathra-via-sharp...
http://www.lakesbloc.com/crags/north-east/177-carrock-fell.html

Hopefully you have some more suggestions, so we can enjoy a different area in the lakes each day! The plan is to climb in the morning and afternoon and hike during the day and we want to wildcamp if possible close to the climbing spots. I'm aware of the rules of wildcamping there and we will make sure to respect the nature and only camp in small groups, so hopefully will not mind. Worst case, we would need to take the cars and drive to a public space. Maybe you can add your experiences on that as well if you suggest any areas.

If somebody wants to join us, feel free to hit me up on facebook.com/chrisontour84

Thanks a bunch!
Chris
 Carolyn 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Chrisontour84:

If you fancy making the climbs part of your day out, this is a useful book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrambles-Easy-Climbs-Lake-District/dp/1902017056

Camping near some of the high crags is certainly possible (as in it's tolerated, but finding a flat spot can sometimes be a challenge), but if you're looking at lower crags/boulders like Carrock Fell, then it won't necessarily be appropriate.

What kind of grade climbing are you looking for?
 martinph78 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

The above book is worth getting as it has "expedition days" mapped out. A lot are easier grades and scrambles, but good routes all the same.

Alternatively, just pick a list of climbs that you want to do, get a map, and create your own routes.
 Andy Say 21 Mar 2014

A bit hard to respond without knowing what sort of climbing you are after; Sharp Edge and Carrock Fell blodering are a bit 'chalk and cheese'.

Have a look at Eskdale; Start at Cockley Beck and stroll up to Esk Buttress and a good spot to overnight. Walk out along Bowfell / Crinkles Ridge?

Or the Langdale Pikes for Pavey / Gimmer? On round to Rossett Pike for the 'Langdale Hoeseshoe' (with a couple of afternoon routes on Black Crag?).

I do have a couple of wee alarm bells ringing in my head when you say 'I'm aware of the rules of wildcamping there and we will make sure to respect the nature and only camp in small groups' - how many of you are there? And 'Worst case, we would need to take the cars and drive to a public space'.

Cheers,

Andy
 Carolyn 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Andy Say:

> A bit hard to respond without knowing what sort of climbing you are after; Sharp Edge and Carrock Fell blodering are a bit 'chalk and cheese'.

I'd read that as Sharp Edge being the "walking" part of the day, followed by some bouldering as the "climbing" part - ie two separate parts to the day. I'm not quite sure where it was intended to camp, though.....
Chrisontour84 21 Mar 2014
Thanks guys!

Answering your question on what kind of climbs we are after will be tough because we will have a mixture of climbers involved.

Some (as me) mainly boulder V3-V4 indoors, some are much better and can tackle V7+

Some others prefer ropes and climb 6a+ or better and some do a mixture of all.

So in general, it would be optimum to find an area where we could have the possibility to have a wide range of options available. I understand that this will not be in exactly one spot but sicne we will have 2 cars, we are flexible in terms of driving 10-20 minutes to a better spot for certain activities.

Im just hoping to find places we should avoid in case of being "trapped" with just very limited options and adding the hiking part to everything makes it an even bigger challenge.

I hope some of you can still recommend some cool places where we could do all of the above or at least as much as possible

Thanks!
Chris

If you want a savage walk-in followed by some of the best climbing the Lakes has to offer try Gimmer!
 david100 22 Mar 2014

Middle fell buttress walk along to gimmer do something easy or hard and then return or go to camp high. One of the classic lakes outings. I assume you are OK with trad multi pitch.
Chrisontour84 24 Mar 2014
Thanks, I will look into these!

If any one has more suggestions, keep them coming! Thanks
Chrisontour84 26 Mar 2014
Is there any Bouldering close to the Gimmer Crag?

Have a look at the Eskdale valley, the Sampson stones for bouldering, and Esk buttress for trad routes. It's a very quiet valley as well, you won't have any problem camping up there.
Chrisontour84 31 Mar 2014
Thanks!: )
 Ramblin dave 31 Mar 2014

I have to admit, unless you really enjoy carrying heavy loads then the idea of combining hiking, wildcamping, trad climbing and bouldering sounds like a good way to take most of the fun out of any of them!

Maybe it'd make more sense to base yourselves somewhere like Wasdale, Borrowdale or Langdale where you're set up for pretty much any activity, and take it from there...
Chrisontour84 31 Mar 2014
well for bouldering we need to carry bouldermatts (but not for long since we will camp close to the sites hopefully!) and whoever wants to do ropes will be able to carry their stuff as well, i dont see it as a problem Not everyone will do everything, we just have a mixed group so that why Im asking here for good spots where we can do everything without driving for hours
 Trangia 31 Mar 2014

Bowfell Buttress is a good mountain day out
 ablackett 31 Mar 2014

I don't think you will find one good spot that is great for bouldering, climbing and suitable for wild camping.

Buy the FRCC selected lake district guide, find a crag that has plenty at your grades and get on it. There are high crags and lower crags in the lakes, it depends how the weather is as to which are going to be best.

Langstrath valley, off Borrowdale has some great climbing and a campsite which looks great but is always full of scum playing loud music.
 ablackett 31 Mar 2014

Camp in Borrowdale, Chapel House Farm, then you have millions of climbing options, Honsiter boulders, and as much walking as you can shake a stick at.

Or camp in Langdale, then you have millions of climbing options, Langdale Boulders, and as much walking as you can shake a stick at.

Or camp in Wasdale, then you have millions of climbing options (no idea about the bouldering), you get the idea.

Not so much climbing north of Keswick, other than carrock fell boulders, but sharp edge is a lovely scramble.
Chrisontour84 04 Apr 2014
Ok guys I checked all your advices and think its best to concentrate on these 2 areas since they are very close to each other as well:

1) Langdale Pikes & Gimmer
2) Scafell Pike & Esk Buttress & Sampson’s Stones

Maybe we will add the third option in the north as well in the beginning or end:

3) Blencathra & Carrock Fell

Would you say its worth driving up that far only for these or should we just stay in the Langdale/Scafell area? Maybe you have another cool spot where we could combine the three activities close to that area?

Thanks!!

Cheers
Chris
 Michael Gordon 11 Apr 2014

Pick any mountain crag then carry on round the fells from there
Chrisontour84 11 Apr 2014
instead of going north, we might actually just head to the Gillercombe Boulder instead. Would you know of any good rope areas there as well?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...