UKC

Quick hit Severe near Blawith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014

Advice please. I've never climbed in the Lakes, so I don't know the crags at all. In late April I may get a chance for a half day, or less, the nearer to Blawith the better. What's good? We really don't want a long drive, nor a long approach, nor a long route--the amount of time we'll have is indeterminate, but might be as little as 2 hours.

Also, my partner is no Dave McLeod--he wouldn't be happy on anything harder than S.

Recos please!

And no, probably not The Hole at Tilberthwaite--too scary
Post edited at 11:04
 Bob 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Probably your best bet is Wallowbarrow Crag http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=362 and Thomas is as good as any.
 Lankyman 21 Mar 2014

You aren't that far from Whitestone http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1279 which is all single pitch with enough reasonably graded climbing to fit your bill.
 BnB 21 Mar 2014
Thomas (S) or Wall and Corner (VD+) on Wallowbarrow, which happens to be in the most beautiful valley in England, the Duddon. But don't tell anyone else. 15 mins walk-in, every step a ladder to heaven.

If you must go with the crowds, Original Route (S) on Raven Crag behind the Old Dungeon Ghyll. Quickest and easiest of all would be Route 1 (VD) on Upper Scout Crag near the New Dungeon Ghyll.

Blimey there's some good stuff in the lower grades!!
Post edited at 11:19
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014
In reply to BnB:

Hmm. Very tempting. A place I really love, and haven't visited in years. When I was little, on hot summer days we used to go swimming in the Duddon at Seathwaite.

Bit of a drive round from Blawith, but on the other hand I really don't want to go to a honeypot like the ODG... or maybe everywhere in the Lakes is a honeypot.
 Bob 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Do'h! Forgot Whitestone - I'm the crag moderator! The only real downside is the tick problem.
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Whitestone! So that's what it's called--I've been mucking around there without a rope for decades. I had no idea it was a proper venue and had routes and everything
 Lankyman 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Bob:

> The only real downside is the tick problem.

Never had this problem there. I've also walked all over the tops above and nearby several times. Maybe some people are more attractive (to ticks!)?
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Karl Lunt:

Yes, I've done lots of walking in that area, and south to Hampsfell and north to Gummer's, and never even seen a tick.
 Lankyman 21 Mar 2014

Les Ainsworth once told me how he and Dave Cronshaw came across a whole bunch of adders writhing around on a rock below Whitestone - they didn't stop to count (or climb anything!).
 lummox 21 Mar 2014

what Bob said
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Karl Lunt:

never seen an adder closer to Grange (where I did some of my growing up) than Satterthwaite.
 Bob 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Karl Lunt:

The land the crag is on is part of the family farm. When the sheep come off there they are covered in ticks, we used to dip them at least twice a year just to try and get rid of the ticks or at least reduce the infestation.

We never really had a problem with ticks before buying Whitestone allotment in the late 1970s - it did have a reputation locally. No idea why one piece of land would be so bad and the next piece (which we also had) was OK if not totally clear of them. All that's between the two is a wall which is a human barrier not a natural one.
 andy 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Bob:
> Probably your best bet is Wallowbarrow Crag http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=362 and Thomas is as good as any.

Or Seathwaite Buttress, which is shorter and nearer the pub.
 shantaram 21 Mar 2014

Definitely Wallowbarrow. One of the nicest easy grade crags in the lake District. Dries quickly, gets the sun all day and lovely location. Most things are multi pitch (2-3 pitches), but very friendly multi pitch. Thomas is probably the classic of the crag at Severe. Can be done in 2 pitches and the walk in/out is only 15 mins from the road. Easily possible in a 2 hour hit from Blawith.
Tim Chappell 21 Mar 2014
In reply to shantaram:

It's a wrap--now I just need to wrestle my partner into submission. Thanks to all for input

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...