UKC

Nikon lenses advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 21 Mar 2014
My camera is D5100 and Ive currently got the sigma 10-20mm for landscapes, 18-55mm vr and 55-200mm vr as general purpose lenses, and 40mm micro f2.8 for portraits and basic macro work.

1. Im thinking of getting a tokina 100mm f2.8 for macro (manual focus only d5100), seems to have had generally good reviews.

2. How does the 50mm F1.8G lens compare to the 40mm F2.8 micro?

3. Any other suggestions?
 The Lemming 21 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I can't rate my 35mm prime high enough, especially for indoors and low light when you don't want to use a flash.

Pin sharp too.
 d_b 21 Mar 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

The nikkor 35mm dx and 50mm fx lenses are both excellent, and good value for money.

I get a bit of barrel on the 35, but it is lovely and sharp.
 The Lemming 21 Mar 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The nikkor 35mm dx and 50mm fx lenses are both excellent,

I had a 50mm 1.8 lens but never got used to it on my dSLR with a cropped sensor, simply because of the crop factor. I eventually sold that lens on this very site because it gathered dust on a shelf.

I can't see myself buying a full frame dSLR any time soon, if ever. My current dSLR will last me till it dies and with the way that phones and tablets are improving with their photographic capabilities, I don't think that I will ever upgrade to a better dSLR. If anything I will go smaller.
 d_b 21 Mar 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I know what you mean. The compact system cameras have got very good very quickly haven't they?
OP The Potato 21 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Thanks for those suggestions, I did have the 35mm for a while but didnt like it that much for general use - thats just my style of photography though
 Fraser 21 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:
+1 for the 35mm DX. I got one second hand on here and it's a belter. (use it on my D5000) As Lemming says, the 50mm on a crop sensor - for me - wasn't worth considering.

Edit: oops, jsut seen your last post, sorry!
Post edited at 17:21
In reply to ow arm:

Try getting some of the old manual AIS primes off ebay for peanuts. They are very sharp (much sharper than the zooms), faster and the short focal length ones are easy to focus. Exposure is easy too for static subjects as you can instantly check the histogram and have another go if it's off.
I have the 35mm dx lens too and it works well but does suffer from chromatic aberrations (which the Nikon viewnx software can fix to some extent)

d_b 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:

One lens I absolutely loved was the nikkor 20mm FX. F2.8 I think.

Sadly I put it down on a rock in the caingorms and forgot to pick it up again, then failed to notice I didn't have it until I was 5 hours walk and 12 hours of rain away.

So if you want an almost certainly dead lens for free you could do worse than look around the area overlooking "Squareface"
 andybenham 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm: Don't own one myself but my mate has the Tamron 90 mm macro and rates it very highly. You will have full auto focus with this.

Charlie Low 31 Mar 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Don't have the F1.8G but the F1.4G and it's honestly the best lens I've ever owned, for what it does it's the best, it takes such beautiful pictures.
OP The Potato 01 Apr 2014
In reply to charlielow:

im sure! cant afford any 1.4 lenses right now

As an update I got a sigma 105mm f2.8 for £185 and tbh its really good, it doesnt autofocus on my body which is a shame but apparently this model has poop AF anyway so Im happy with MF for macro anyway. Definately makes it a bit harder for portraits etc but Ill get used to it.

Ive just sold the Micro 40mm to pay towards the Sigma.

Ive also got a Nissin flash for sale if anyone is interested its in the F/S section.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...