UKC

Helpful motorist du Jour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 21 Mar 2014
Cycling home last night I noticed my left pedal felt odd. Closer examination showed that the point where the pedal screws into the crank had play in it, presumably do to a combination of corrosion & physical wear: Hard steel pedal thread +soft alloy crank + movement = destruction of thread in crank end.

So I knew it would wear more over the journey, get increasingly wobbly & probably fall out completely at some point.

Which it did, landing in the gutter with a clatter (flat shoes & pedal, no clips), leaving me with a laborious & slow one legged ride home. Maybe I should have stopped & picked it up, but I was in a severely bad mood & didn’t want to lose precious speed (I picked it up this morning).

About 150 yards further along, a car pulled alongside me, the front passenger window rolled down & the driver leaned across & said “Excuse me, your pedal has fallen off, it landed by the side of the road just back there”.

Thanks for that, I hadn't even noticed.....
 Scomuir 21 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

They were probably politely (and correctly) pointing out that you were leaving litter in the road.
 Blue Straggler 29 Mar 2014

>

>

> Maybe I should have stopped & picked it up

Why the "Maybe" ?
 VS4b 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
More helpful than the one who opened his door without looking and wiped me out on Thursday. Not that I'm bitter or anything...
 Enty 29 Mar 2014

>
>
> Which it did, landing in the gutter with a clatter (flat shoes & pedal, no clips), leaving me with a laborious & slow one legged ride home. Maybe I should have stopped & picked it up, but I was in a severely bad mood & didn’t want to lose precious speed (I picked it up this morning).

>

Ha ha Troll! your pedal fell off but instead of stopping and trying to see if it would go back on you rode home pedaling with one leg FFS???
Probably the most stupid post I've read on here this year.

E
 goldmember 29 Mar 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Ha ha Troll! your pedal fell off but instead of stopping and trying to see if it would go back on you rode home pedaling with one leg FFS???

> Probably the most stupid post I've read on here this year.

> E

He could be chuck norris!
OP Chris Harris 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Enty:

Agree with all of the a
> Ha ha Troll! your pedal fell off but instead of stopping and trying to see if it would go back on you rode home pedaling with one leg FFS???

> Probably the most stupid post I've read on here this year.

> E

I agree with everyone who says I should have picked it up there & then - leaving it in the gutter was wrong.

However, with respect to Enty's post above. Did you not read my OP? The pedal had completely destroyed the hole in the crank into which it was threaded. There was no thread left in the hole, the hole was considerably enlarged by the wear of the wobbling pedal. I could have put it back in, but it would have immediately fallen straight back out. That's why it fell out in the first place.

So yes, I rode home one legged. Quicker & easier than walking.
 FreshSlate 30 Mar 2014

You should have picked it up. It might have not been there when you got back. Not sure what the driver's done wrong, he's just pointed out that you've dropped your pedal, a kinder act than simply driving by. You may feel that it was 'obvious' that you abandoned your pedal, but to be fair, it's just f*cking stupid letting it fall off and leaving it there so he's giving you the benefit of the doubt.
 malk 30 Mar 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

yeah, rename thread weird cyclist du jour
 blurty 30 Mar 2014
In reply to goldmember:

> He could be chuck norris!

Or Cav

(when he one-legged past Cipollini - very bad form!!)

> (flat shoes & pedal, no clips)

I'm puzzled by how it's possible to cycle one-legged when using flat pedals.
 Enty 30 Mar 2014

> Agree with all of the a

> I agree with everyone who says I should have picked it up there & then - leaving it in the gutter was wrong.

> However, with respect to Enty's post above. Did you not read my OP? The pedal had completely destroyed the hole in the crank into which it was threaded. There was no thread left in the hole, the hole was considerably enlarged by the wear of the wobbling pedal. I could have put it back in, but it would have immediately fallen straight back out. That's why it fell out in the first place.

> So yes, I rode home one legged. Quicker & easier than walking.

Well in that case I hope you passed someone in full Sky kit with hairy legs

E
 Enty 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

> I'm puzzled by how it's possible to cycle one-legged when using flat pedals.

It's not easy.....

E
KevinD 30 Mar 2014
In reply to Enty:

> It's not easy.....

not impossible though. if I was wearing my 5.10 spitfires with DMR vault pedals would be doable. Scarily how sticky that combination is.
OP Chris Harris 31 Mar 2014
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

> I'm puzzled by how it's possible to cycle one-legged when using flat pedals.

Hook toe under pedal & lift it up to the top of the revolution.

Put foot on pedal as normal & press down to the bottom of the revolution.

Repeat. Lots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...