UKC

ML, SPA (and other awards) training and assessment: providers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 XAPortela 22 Mar 2014
Hi all,

I'm currently registered for the ML (mountain leader) and SPA (single pitch) awards. I'll be taking both training courses soon and there are a lot of providers available on Mountain Training UK. I'd like to get good quality training.

I'd like to know your experiences/opinion on providers. In theory they have the same syllabus but I guess the quality of their courses is different. Is it worth paying more for courses for example in Plas Y Brenin? do they all deliver pretty much the same quality?

Thanks!!
 Bradders 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

Not necessarily, though I personally would go with someone who has been running the training courses for quite some time as they know what they are doing and what they are looking for. This means they will put more focus on the more important parts of the syllabus.

Eg in the Lakes, Chris Ensoll or Climb 365 as an example.

Bradley
 jezb1 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

They'll all be delivering the same product and will all get periodically moderated to ensure they're delivering quality courses.

Personally I chose independent providers when going through the schemes.

It's nice to know who you are going to get rather than at a company like PyB.

The bonus at PyB is that you get good food and accom so it takes out some of the hassle.

If in N Wales have a look at Paul Poole and Phil George.
In reply to XAPortela:

I had a bad ML training experience from an independent provider but I my assessment with Phill George more than made up for this - had a fantastic week. I think even if you factor in the cost of food an accom at PyB, it's still expensive. They should all treat you the same but the way you come across can affect how the assessor treats you i.e. if you're a know-it-all they will test you more than someone who's there to learn and not just to get the sticker in their logbook.
Go off a recommendation and mine would be Phill George. Don't be swayed by cost, espcially for the training.

OP XAPortela 22 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales, jezb1 and Bradders:

Thanks all for your comments. They are really helpful.

jezb1: I had a navigation workshop with Paul Poole and I agree, he is a really good trainer.

As I'm based in Sheffield, I was looking at this provider called Peak Mountain Training, based in the Peak District. Has anyone had any course with them and would like to share their opinion?

Thanks again!

jezb1 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

> As I'm based in Sheffield, I was looking at this provider called Peak Mountain Training, based in the Peak District. Has anyone had any course with them and would like to share their opinion?

No direct experience, but they are a very well respected group of highly qualified instructors.

JIMBO 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

I'd do ML at PyB... great food, lodgings etc, plus N.Wales is great for it.
I'd do SPA in the Peak because it is such ideal SPA territory...
 D. Saxton 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

Have a look at http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/other/find-a-course

for course providers in the Peak
 Dan Lane 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

I can reccomend both Phill George in North Wales or Peak Mountain Training if you've wanting to do it in the Peak. Both will do a brilliant job for significantly less than the Brenin charge...
 D.botts87 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

Had very good experiences at PyB for ML assessment and training. Also thumbs up for Phill George whom i did my SPA training.

at PyB you will get a minimum of two instructors, ranging from MIA to Guide, tons of experience and tons of free information. Weighing up the cost, PyB you will be given accom and food for the price and you can pretty much guarantee the course will run...that was a key reason for me booking my assessment there ( had a couple of providers not able to fill a course so cancelling).

Phill George Top bloke
 Paul at work 22 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

I'm running a SPA training in the Peak District on the 12/13 April. I have been working on SPA courses for over 10 years, and as such have trained and assessed a number of people on here. I'm also one of 17 providers involved in the delivery of the new coaching scheme.

There are plenty of threads here on UKC talking about the pros and cons of different types of providers. I would argue that an independent provider is more likely to deliver a consistent course, as their own personal reputation is at stake if they deliver something below par!
OP XAPortela 23 Mar 2014
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions.

So basically what I got by reading all comments is that there shouldn't be great differences among providers and main advantage at PyB is that they offer a comfortable, hassle-free stay. But other than that the quality of their training is not way beyond other providers, which is what I thought.
altadv 23 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

What is usually an issue for candidates for any of the awards is find a course which is on dates they can attend. Work through mountain training web site courses.
Removed User 23 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:
Phil George, ML &/or SPA or Paul Smith for SPA.
Post edited at 12:00
 Oli Greg 23 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:
Did my SPA training with pyb and had a great course. But went with Phill George for my assesment (as it was cheaper and non-residential) and would highly recommend him. Very professional and fair but also very good at making you feel at ease. Although I was being assesed, I also picked up some tips over the 2 days.

Will be booking my ML training/assesment with Phill George
Paul Edwards 24 Mar 2014
In reply to XAPortela:

I did my training with PYB and then did my Assessment with Phil George, Phil was away (getting his hip fixed) so we had a couple of other assessors, Sam Leary and Mick who were all brilliant.

I enjoyed the assessment immensely, had a great week.

I can highly recommend Phil George.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...